Subscribe now to NEHGS's journal of pilgrim genealogy and history
Mayflower Descendant—a journal of Pilgrim genealogy and history—is one of the most highly respected scholarly journals in the field of genealogy.
The journal is published twice per year, in winter and summer. Each issue is approximately 100 pages plus an annual every-name index in summer.
The result of an agreement with the Massachusetts Society of Mayflower Descendants (MSMD), the New England Historic Genealogical Society (NEHGS) has assumed a ten-year stewardship of the venerable journal the Mayflower Descendant.
First published in 1899 by George Ernest Bowman, founder of the Massachusetts Society of Mayflower Descendants, which published the journal until 2014, the Mayflower Descendant has long been a highly regarded source of scholarship relating to Mayflower families and related genealogies, their origins in England, and their lives and places of residence in America, from the earliest settlements to their migrations north and westward. Under NEHGS, the Mayflower Descendant will continue to be a significant source of genealogical and historical scholarship and will maintain the Descendant’s historic standards.
Topics to be explored in forthcoming issues:
- Further genealogical analysis of Pilgrim families in New England and their origins in England and Holland.
- Towns in Plymouth Colony, England, and Holland with which Pilgrims are associated (similar to items in The Great Migration Newsletter).
- Genealogical summaries of families in eastern Massachusetts into which Mayflower descendants married, with which they were often associated, or which bore Pilgrim surnames.
- Mayflower families beyond the fifth generation, often in locations beyond eastern Massachusetts (the “Mayflower diaspora”).
- Further record transcription from eastern Massachusetts or from areas into which Mayflower descendants moved.
Volume 68, Number 1, Winter 2020
Eastham and Truro [Mass.] Town Records, 1671–1783 (continued from Volume 67:105)
The Hicks Family of Mashpee, Massachusetts: Wampanoag Descendants of Pilgrim Richard Warren
Julia Coldren-Walker and Christopher Challender Child
Wellfleet Vital Records, 1763–1844 (continued from Volume 66:151)
Andrew P. Langlois
Which Alice Ruggles Married Simeon Nye? A Sixth-Generation Mayflower Problem
Nathaniel Lane Taylor, Ph.D., FASG
Notable Mayflower Descendants: Sonny Dove
Christopher Challender Child
Nathan Cannon of Barnstable, Massachusetts, and Fairfield, Maine: A John Howland Line
Additions and Corrections to the Mayflower Families Volumes
Deborah Wentworth Lansing
Ancestry of Anna6 Taylor: An Edward Fuller Line
Additions and Corrections to MD 67 (2019): 135
The Family of Levi Byram (1778–1816) of Knox County, Tennessee, and Madison County, Alabama: A John Alden Line
Matthew Blaine Berry, CG
Scott Andrew Bartley