Library Databases From Home
In addition to the hundreds of databases published by NEHGS and available on AmericanAncestors.org, there are databases published by other organizations which NEHGS subscribes to and makes available for its Research and Contributing members to access from home. These databases can be accessed by clicking on the links below and logging in with your AmericanAncestors username and password.
Please note that these databases are third-party-operated sites, and NEHGS is not responsible for the functionality, accuracy, quality, or timeliness of any content contained on the third-party sites accessed from this page. Users are responsible for adhering to any and all Terms and Conditions and Copyrights of the database owners.
Looking for digital collections of manuscripts and books from the NEHGS Library? Find our digital collections here.
The 19th Century U.S. Newspapers database provides access to approximately 1.7 million pages of primary-source newspaper content from throughout the 1800s. It features full text and images from hundreds of papers from every region in the U.S., and it contains a wealth of genealogical content, including birth, death, and marriage notices. A few of the New England and New York papers are: Boston Daily Advertiser, New Haven Palladium, Bangor Daily Whig and Courier, New Hampshire Statesman, Providence Patriot, Vermont Chronicle, and New York Herald.
- Use quotation marks around a phrase to find words that appear next to each other.
- When the results appear, there is a box at the top that helpfully sorts the articles by category. The People category is where you will find things like obituaries.
- Your search terms will be highlighted in the articles.
- When viewing an article, you can increase the size to make it easier to read by dropping down the Article @ 133% menu at the top and choosing a higher percentage. .
- There are two kinds of print options: Browser Print (standard article print) and Acrobat Reader (PDF of full newspaper page). There is also email delivery.
- You can mark articles as you search to save as a batch for printing/emailing later.
Through the Irish Newspaper Archive you will find a large collection of Irish newspapers from 1738 to current day. The archive consists of over 6 million images of pages of newspaper content from titles North and South of the Irish border, and includes newspaper obituaries, and birth, death and marriage notices.
Marquis Biographies Online features comprehensive profiles on over 1.4 million individuals from all fields of endeavor. It includes biographies from Who’s Who in America, Who’s Who in the East, Who’s Who in the Midwest, and many other Who’s Who titles.
PLEASE NOTE: This database limits access to five simultaneous users. If you are unable to access it when the limit has been reached, please try again later.
The Oxford Dictionary of Family Names in Britain and Ireland is a reference work on family names of the UK, covering over 45,000 English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Cornish, and immigrant surnames that currently has more than 100 bearers, and those that had more than 20 bearers in the 1881 census. The database includes every surname that currently has more than 100 bearers, and those that had more than 20 bearers in the 1881 census. Each entry contains current and 1881 frequencies of the name, variant spellings of the name, and an explanation of its origins. Most entries also include a map of the 1881 geographic distribution of the name.