Help us educate, inspire and connect family historians
To advance the study of family history in America and beyond, the New England Historic Genealogical Society educates, inspires, and connects people through our scholarship, collections, and expertise. We are supported by 90 employees and hundreds of dedicated volunteers, serving 225,000 members. Our jobs span a broad range of careers, from entry-level to professional, including genealogical research, publishing, library science, curatorial, internet technology, finance, information systems, development, sales, education, and member services.
For immediate consideration to any of our open staff positions, please e-mail your resume and cover letter to:
Michelle Major, Director of Human Resources email@example.com.
Library Assistant/Shelver – Part Time
The New England Historic Genealogical Society has an opening for a part-time Library Assistant/Shelver at its Newbury Street Research Library. This position is responsible for the shelving of library materials, shifting and maintenance of library stacks to make the best use of space, and other projects within the Technical Services Department as time allows.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Regularly check and shelve materials from designated locations within the library. This includes books and microform materials.
- Shift and maintain library stacks, including major shifting projects and regular straightening up of stacks.
- Shelf read library stacks to maintain proper call number order of books.
- Search for missing books
- Assist with tasks in Technical Services which may include:
- Processing books (labeling, stamping, adding security strips)
- Searching library catalog to compare holdings with donated materials
- Enhancing records in Millennium by including the addition of links to e-books and other online resources.
- Scanning for Digital Library and preservation purposes.
- Other duties as needed
Pay: $11.50/hour, 12 hours per week.
To apply, please send letter and resume to:
Technical Services Manager
New England Historic Genealogical Society
American Ancestors / New England Historic Genealogical Society (NEHGS) seeks an Executive Assistant to the President and CEO. The candidate will provide administrative support to the President and CEO and executive office.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages the President and CEO’s calendars and schedules appointments, requiring interactions with donors, members of the board of trustees and staff on all levels and across all departments.
- Executes substantive projects and other duties as assigned by the President and CEO.
- Screens incoming calls and correspondence and responds independently when possible.
- Organizes meetings and events by arranging schedules, facilitating the design and issuance of invitations and event information, arranging facilities and caterers, coordinating speakers and controlling event budget.
- Prepares agendas, notices, minutes and resolutions from NEHGS meetings and assists with the preparation of presentations for internal and external meetings, lectures and events.
- Composes confidential correspondence and reports. Prepares payment requests and organizes monthly expense reports of President and CEO.
- Creates, updates, and maintains database and spreadsheet files.
- Arranges complex and detailed travel plans and itineraries and compiles documents for travel-related meetings and events.
- Maintains confidentiality of all organizational, personnel and research matters.
- Works closely in cooperation with fundraising and development team.
Skill and Qualifications:
- Minimum 5 years of professional work experience in nonprofit business environment.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Customer service experience
- High level of attention to detail
- Event planning knowledge
- Strong knowledge of computer/internet skills, such as: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook; experience with CRM platforms is required.
Competitive nonprofit salary and exceptional benefits package.
How to Apply:
Email a compelling cover letter and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
August 31, 2017