Help us educate, inspire, and connect people through family history
We are supported by 100 employees and hundreds of dedicated volunteers, serving more than 250,000 members. Our jobs span a broad range of careers, from entry-level to professional, including genealogical research, publishing, library science, curatorial, internet technology, finance, information systems, development, sales, education, and member services.
For immediate consideration to any of our open staff positions, please e-mail your resume and cover letter to:
Director of Human Resources
Function of the Position:
The Marketing Specialist will serve as the key operations manager for all projects and services undertaken by the NEHGS Business Development area. Reporting to the Vice President of Business Development and Revenue Growth, this role will support and execute the operations of marketing including, but not limited to, email marketing, social media advertising, and Google Ads.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Will serve as the key operations manager for email marketing projects undertaken by NEHGS
- Assist and coordinate the planning, development, execution, production, and on-time delivery of all approved projects in support of the Society’s marketing initiatives. Projects include primarily email marketing, social media advertising, and Google Ads.
- Serve as primary individual responsible for the Society’s marketing communications via email, using the resources made available through contracts and services with HubSpot or other preferred suppliers, tracking their performance and issuing frequent reports to interested parties concerning results.
- Actively involved in the creation and coordination of elements of paid social advertising, implementing an approved strategy to support the NEHGS marketing plan and issuing frequent reports tracking performance and engagement in the category.
- May be required to pull reports and handle back-end operations of NEHGS’ online ecommerce platform, Shopify.
- Some travel required; some overtime and weekend duties as needed to support the calendar of events of the organization and to meet urgent marketing deadlines.
Skill and Qualifications:
- Previous professional experience using the marketing software tool, HubSpot, as the primary function of their duties.
- Demonstrated proficiency in launching and maintaining Google Ads and Facebook ad campaigns.
- Familiarity with email marketing solutions and CMS platforms. Working knowledge of Shopify (preferred, but not required)
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to interpret marketing and customer data
- Understands the processes and strategies involved in building a strong marketing funnel
- Proven experience creating reports, optimizing processes, and managing dashboards
- Experience writing email marketing copy
- Possess the skills to undertake leadership, planning and execution of some special marketing projects or promotions deemed to be of interest to the organization.
- An understanding of the marketing support function within the non-profit sector
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work independently and collaboratively with a variety of teams.
- Must have strong organizational and project management skills, as well as the ability to establish priorities and apply available information and resources to complete assignments on a timely basis.
- Competency in all basic MS Office software technology required
- Interest in genealogy, history or related subject matter.
- Bachelor’s degree in business/marketing/analytical field
- 5 years of work experience in a position and at a level that would contribute skills and knowledge to be applied to the various marketing tasks at NEHGS, where teamwork is an important part of the organization’s success
This exciting opportunity is a full time, non-exempt position located at our headquarters on Newbury Street in Boston. Some of the outstanding benefits include medical, dental, generous paid time off, paid holidays, Employee Assistance Program, tuition reimbursement, FSA, 403(b) Retirement plan, and so much more.
$24.00- $36.00 per hour 35 hours per week.
How to Apply
Please send resume and a compelling cover letter to, Michelle Major, Director of Human Resources email@example.com
No phone calls please.
Under the direction of the Director of Advancement, the Prospect Research and Portfolio Analyst will be responsible for:
- Donor and Prospect Research: manage prospect research systems including DonorSearch; undertake independent research to create donor and prospect profiles for gift officers which will be reviewed and assigned at Advancement Team meetings on a bi-weekly basis.
- Portfolio Management: maintain and update the portfolios of donors and prospects that have been assigned to gift officers; conduct monthly portfolio review meetings as well as high level, goal-based quarterly portfolio review meetings with individual gift officers and the Vice President for Advancement.
- Electronic screening: periodically have the names of new members, donors, event participants and other contacts screened through DonorSearch and record resulting information into constituent records on Tessitura.
- Advancement Reports: generate reporting in Tessitura related to donor prospecting for meetings and for travel use by gift officers.
- Serve as back-up to the Advancement Coordinator in the processing of gifts and pledges and the generating of receipts and acknowledgments when the Coordinator is unavailable and/or when the volume of incoming mail requires such assistance. Assist with quarterly events and Annual Report as needed.
- Provide additional assistance to members of the Advancement Team as requested.
This is a non-exempt, on-site position located in Boston, MA. The normal work schedule is Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work required. Some of our amazing benefits include; very generous paid time off, 12 paid holidays, medical, dental, vision, 403(b) retirement plan, EAP, AFLAC, life insurance, and much more!
Skill and Qualifications
- Three-five years of work experience, in a nonprofit advancement office
- Experience with using Tessitura and DonorSearch highly desirable
- Proficiency with Microsoft’s Office 365 suite required
- Strong communication skills; spoken, phone and written
- Accuracy, organization, and attention to detail
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
$53,000 - $55,000 / Per year
How To Apply
Screening of applications will begin immediately and continue until a candidate is hired. Please submit cover letter and resume to Michelle Major, Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
American Ancestors and the New England Historic Genealogical Society seeks a full-time or part-time Researcher. Under the direction of Vice President of Research & Library Services and the Manager of Research & Library Services, a Researcher will conduct genealogical and historical research, in written and verbal form. This exciting opportunity is available as a full time or part-time, non-exempt, hourly position located at our beautiful headquarters on Newbury Street in Boston.
Some of the outstanding benefits for the full-time position include medical, dental, vision, AFLAC, life insurance, generous paid time off, paid holidays, Employee Assistance Program, tuition reimbursement, FSA, 403(b) retirement plan, and so much more!
- Provide accurate genealogical and historical research, using knowledge of genealogical skills, techniques, and sources.
- Efficiently conduct research in an allotted hourly time frame
- If full-time, assist with in-person reference desk visitation at our Library in Boston
- Contribute to the New England Historic Genealogical Society publications including American Ancestors magazine and our online blog, Vita Brevis.
- Attend virtual and in-person genealogical conferences (as needed)
- Genealogical Training
- 3-4 years of genealogical or historical research experience
- Ability to analyze documents and compile detailed narrative research reports.
- Writing skills
- Computer skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft and Adobe
- Customer services experience
- Knowledge of the NEHGS collection
Bachelor’s degree in a history related field or related experience.
$22 per hour
How To Apply
Please send resume, genealogical sample, and a compelling cover letter to Michelle Major, Director of Human Resources at email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Reporting to the Vice President of Communications & Digital Strategy, the Social Media Coordinator is primarily responsible for collaborating with other members of the Communications and Marketing teams and internal stakeholders to substantially grow the American Ancestors/NEHGS social media audience through successful, on-brand social media campaigns.
The Social Media Coordinator will plan and execute all social media, establish KPIs, plan and execute social media campaigns, create copy (or work with the Digital Content Producer to leverage existing copy), select images analyze results, and adjust campaigns for maximum performance.
This position requires a creative, experimental approach to copy and images, a deep familiarity with social media platforms and trends, and a passion for family history, along with a mastery of American Ancestors/NEHGS’s services, products, and mission – and thorough knowledge of our brand guidelines. The person in this role will need to be an independent multitasker who can proactively work with others to keep projects moving along so deadlines are met.
Experience with Hubspot is a plus.
This is an hourly, non-exempt position eligible for benefits. Some of our amazing benefits include; very generous paid time off plus 12 paid holidays and 3 floating holidays, medical from Harvard Pilgrim, dental from Blue Cross, EyeMed vision, 403 (b) retirement plan with a 7% contribution after 2 years of service, Employee Assistance program, AFLAC, and much more!
Duties and Responsibilities
- Write or leverage existing clear, concise, on-brand copy for social media channels (Currently Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Linked In, and YouTube)
- Establish and benchmark against ambitious KPIs to grow social media audience, and use data to test, iterate and enhance copy for optimal effectiveness. Familiarity with digital analytics and experience applying data to optimize content performance.
- Collaborate strategically with communications, marketing, internal staff, and external vendors
- Interpret creative, strategic and technical concepts and translate them into persuasive messaging for the target audience
- Embody the voice of the brand across channels and touchpoints, collaborating closely with communications on brand principles
- Proofread and self-edit to deliver work that meets the highest standards
- Work with co-branding partners, cross team members, and vendors to leverage brand messages through internal and external channels to suggest cross-promotional opportunities
- Help maintain accessibility standards and procedures across digital platforms
Bachelor's degree or related experience in Web Development, Digital Communications, Communications, Marketing, Journalism or related field
Skill and Qualifications
- At least three years of experience as a social media coordinator or similar role, and proven experience expanding a social media audience through original campaigns
- Proficient in posting on a variety of social media platforms
- Understanding of SEO and web traffic data
- Highly developed written communication skills and a portfolio that highlights your range of experiences
- Experience creating creative, visually engaging content with proven success
- A love of fast-paced, collaborative environments, where high-volume and short turnaround times are the norm
- The ability to self-edit and deliver high quality copy
- Strong stakeholder management skills and the ability to manage multiple projects at once
- A positive, team focused attitude and passion for working in fast-paced environments
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills: Demonstrated ability to cooperate and communicate with others
- Flexibility to handle changing priorities and the ability to thrive and work efficiently in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment required
How to Apply
Screening of applications will begin immediately and continue until a candidate is hired. Please submit cover letter and resume to Michelle Major, Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.