Help us educate, inspire, and connect people through family history
To advance the study of family history in America and beyond, American Ancestors and the New England Historic Genealogical Society educates, inspires, and connects people through our scholarship, collections, and expertise. We are supported by 100 employees and hundreds of dedicated volunteers, serving more than 250,000 members. Our jobs span a broad range of careers, from entry-level to professional, including genealogical research, publishing, library science, curatorial, internet technology, finance, information systems, development, sales, education, and member services.
For immediate consideration to any of our open staff positions, please e-mail your resume and cover letter to:
Michelle Major, Director of Human Resources firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please check out our Volunteer page for other opportunities to help advance the study of family history.
American Ancestors and the New England Historic Genealogical Society is hiring an experienced Accountant that will report to the Chief Financial Officer and Senior Accountant. The Accountant will provide accounting expertise and financial accuracy under the direction of the Senior Accountant and CFO and providing direction and assistance to the Accounts Receivable Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the overall flow of accounts payables for the Society, including all incoming invoices and outgoing scheduling and processing of payments.
- Reconcile income statement and balance sheet accounts, including cash.
- Book journal entries, including those for current, prepaids, accruals and allocations.
- Assist Senior Accountant and CFO with managing the monthly, quarterly and annual accounting close and annual financial audits.
- Assist CFO with monthly endowment accounting.
- •Other responsibilities as designated by the Senior Accountant and CFO.
Skills and Qualifications
- MUST HAVE 3+ years of demonstrated not for profit accounting experience and knowledge, including proficiency with account reconciliation, journal entries, fund accounting and endowment accounting.
- •MUST HAVE strong personal computer software experience, including Microsoft Excel and Word; Microsoft Dynamics/Great Plains or similar accounting software preferred as well as experience with Tessitura CRM software platform.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively yet independently to problem solve and create solutions and efficiencies for the role and department.
Bachelors Accounting or Finance degree strongly preferred.
How To Apply:
Please submit a resume and compelling cover letter to:
Michelle Major, Director of Human Resources
No phone calls, please.
Screening of applications will begin June 15 and continue until a candidate is hired.