Connecting Families, Advancing History
The Campaign for NEHGS
September 2016 marked the official end of our multi-year “Connecting Families, Advancing History” Capital Campaign. The philanthropic contributions totaled an epic and unprecedented $62.2 million in commitments comprised of more than 25,000 gifts!
This historic victory is a testament to our loyal and generous members who value our important purpose and have made generous investments in our growth. Thank you, again, one and all! We especially want to acknowledge our volunteer campaign leadership, including Eric Schultz, Judy Avery, John Cabot, Nancy Maulsby, and our Board Chairman, David Burnham, among the dozens of friends who provided campaign leadership and support.
Some of the campaign highlights include:
- Dramatic increase in our endowed funds, creating stability and sustainability for generations to come;
- Successful purchase at a bargain price of our new annex at 97 Newbury Street which will undergo a transformative renovation and expansion in the near future;
- Acquisition of the tools to help us dramatically grow our total membership to more than 200,000 individuals;
- Investments in award-winning scholarship covering multiple regions and time periods – made available in print and online;
- Development of a fully revamped and twice award-winning AmericanAncestors.org with more than 1.2 billion records;
- Numerous capital improvements to our headquarters, including an all-new HVAC system, more office space, a state-of-the-art conservation laboratory, and an award-winning entryway design;
- Launch of our Jewish Heritage Center with the New England Archives of the American Jewish Historical Society as its cornerstone;
- Advanced ability to recruit and retain a world-class staff of experts.
None of these advancements would have been possible without the generosity of our loyal members.