New England Historic Genealogical Society and American Ancestors
Who is NEHGS?
The New England Historic Genealogical Society (NEHGS) is America’s founding genealogical organization and the most trusted name in family history research. Established in 1845, NEHGS is the nation’s leading comprehensive resource for family history research and the largest Society of its kind in the world. We provide expert family history services through our website, scholarship, collections, staff, and education programs to help family historians of all levels explore their past and understand their families’ unique place in history.
We are a nonprofit corporation dedicated to advancing the study of family history in America and beyond, by educating, inspiring, and connecting people through our scholarship, collections, and expertise.
What is American Ancestors?
American Ancestors is the public brand and user experience of the New England Historic Genealogical Society (NEHGS). American Ancestors represents our expertise and resources for family historians of all levels researching their origins across the country and around the world.
Our online and onsite expertise, resources, and services include early American, Irish, English, Italian, Scottish, Atlantic and French Canadian, African American, Native American, Chinese, and Jewish family history.
AmericanAncestors.org, a component of the American Ancestors public brand, has special strength in English, New England (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont), New York, Pennsylvania, and Virginia materials.
What is the difference between NEHGS and American Ancestors?
New England Historic Genealogical Society is the nonprofit institution that provides the user experience American Ancestors, which is our public brand, including our website, AmericanAncestors.org, and our quarterly publication, American Ancestors magazine.
Jim Power, Jr.
Director of Marketing & Sales
- NEHGS is the oldest and largest genealogical society in the country. Founded in 1845, NEHGS serves over 226,000 members in the U.S. and around the world through an award-winning website AmericanAncestors.org.
- The NEHGS website, AmericanAncestors.org, is one of the most visited family history websites and it is the most visited genealogical society website in the world–serving a million users a year. It contains more than 1.4 billion historical and genealogical records from the United States and beyond.
- The NEHGS research center, located at 99–101 Newbury Street in Boston’s Back Bay, is nation’s leading comprehensive research center for family historians of every skill level. USA Today recently named NEHGS, with more than 28 million items in its collection, containing materials that span the globe and more than 7 centuries, one of the 10 greatest research centers of its kind in the world.
- NEHGS publishes the definitive research in the field of genealogy through a quarterly journal, a quarterly magazine, a weekly electronic newsletter, and more than 20 books a year.
- Quarterly since 1847, NEHGS has published the peer-reviewed academic journal The New England Historical and Genealogical Register, the flagship publication of American genealogy.
- Newbury Street Press (NSP), established in 1996, is the premier publisher of family histories. NSP builds on the New England Historic Genealogical Society’s 170-year history of publishing compiled genealogies of enduring value. Books that bear the NSP logo represent the Society’s high standards of documentation and authentication of genealogical research.
- The 80 staff members at NEHGS represent the some of the most respected and advanced in the profession. Research specialties include early American, Irish, English, Scottish, Italian, Atlantic and French Canadian, African American, Native American, Chinese, and Jewish genealogy.
- A comprehensive capital campaign for the New England Historic Genealogical Society— “Connecting Families. Advancing History”—had a goal of $55 million; at the conclusion of the campaign in 2016, gifts and commitments exceeded more than $62.2 million.