Vital Records of Sutton, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850
Published by Franklin P. Rice, the Fund.
F. H. Gilson Company
list of Sutton Births, Marriages and Deaths comprised inthis
volume includes all that were found in the Town Books covering
the period from the earliest date there recorded to the endof
the year 1849. Some additions have
been made from other sources, and these are indicated in each
instance by proper reference.
All of the records are
condensed in print as much as is consistent
with intelligibility, accuracy, and completeness of information. Differences in duplicates, and explanatory
or othermatter which seemed
necessary or desirable, appear in brackets.
Marriages and intentions
of marriage are printed under thenames of both parties, but the full information
concerning eachperson is given
only under his or her name. An asterisk after amarriage
indicates that the intention was not found recorded, and
in many cases this is accounted for by the fact that neitherparty
belonged in Sutton, and consequently
double date is used in the months of January, Februaryand
March prior to 1752 only when it so
appears in the original, and instances of the modern form after 1725
are not uncommon. When
places other than Sutton and Massachusetts are named in the original records, they are given
in the printed copy.
a. — age
b. — born
ch. — child
chn. — children
Co. — county
C.R. — church record
d. — daughter; day; died
Dea. — deacon
dup. — duplicate entry
f. — female
G.S. — gravestone record.
The different burial grounds are indicated by number on page 395
h. — husband
inf. — infant
int. — publishment of intention
Jr. — junior
m. — male ; married; month
N.S. — New Style
O .S.—Old Style
P.R. —private record
rec. — recorded
s. — son
Sr. — senior
wid. — widow
y. — year
2d. — second
The age given in the Deaths is in
years unless otherwise indicated.
SUTTON, WORCESTER COUNTY .
ON October 28, 1714, a vote of the Representatives laying out the township of Sutton
was confirmed, and certain lands were allowed to the Proprietors June 21, 1715.
A part was annexed to Westborough June 5,1728, and another portion was included
in the new town of Upton, June 14, 1735.
The town of Ward (now Auburn) was granted a certain part of Sutton, when
it was formed April 10, 1778; and other parts were annexed to Northbridge in
1780, 1801, and 1844.
Millbury was set off in 1813; and in 1842 a part of Sutton was annexed to Grafton.
Additions to the township were a gore of land in 1789, and a part of Northbridge in
Population at different periods: 1765, 2,138; 1776,2,644;
1790) 2,642; 1800, 2,513; 1810, 2,660; 1820,2,056;
1830, 2,186; 1840, 2,370; 1850, 2,595. Population
in 1905, 3,173.
of Births printed . . . 7,031
Marriages . . 2,980 = 5,960