VITAL RECORDS OF SAUGUS MASSACHUSETTS TO THE END OF THE YEAR
PUBLISHED BY THE ESSEX INSTITUTE
The following record of births, marriages and deaths include
all entries to be found in the books of record kept by the town
clerks ; in the church records ; in the cemetery inscriptions ; and
in several private records found in family Bibles. These records
are printed in a condensed form in which every essential particu-
lar has been preserved. All duplication of the town clerks' record
has been eliminated, but differences in entry and other explana-
tory matter appear in brackets. Parentheses are used when they
occur in the original record, and to indicate the maiden name of
When places other than Saugus and Massachusetts are named
in the original records, they are given in the printed copy. Mar-
riages and intentions of marriage are printed under the names of
both parties. In all records the original spelling of names is fol-
lowed and in the alphabetical arrangement the various forms
should be examined, as items about the same: family may be found
under different spellings.
This town, originally a part of Lynn, was incorporated Feb.
17, 1815, retaining the Indian name by which this section had
been known since the earliest settlement. On Feb. 22, 1841, a
part of Chelsea was annexed.
The population of Saugus at different periods was as follows:—
1820, 748; 1840, 1098;
1830, 960; 1850, 1552;
C. K. 1.-—Universalist Church records.
C. R. 2.—Methodist Church records, East Ss.ugus.
d.—daughter ; day ; died.
G, R. 1.-—gravestone record, Old Cemetery, Saugus Centre.
G. R. 2.—gravestone record, New Cemetery, Saugus Centre.
int.—intention of marriage.
m.—male ; married ; month.
P. R. 1.—Bible records now in possession of Samuel A. Parker.
P. K. 2.—Bible record now in possession of Frank E. Parker.
P. R. 3.-—Bible record now in possession of Wilbur F. Newhall.
P. R. 4. — Bible record now in possession of Charles F. Penney.
P. R. 5.—Records from diary of Joseph Lye of Lynn, now in pos-
session of Henry F. Tapley of Lynn