VITAL RECORDS OF PRINCETON, MASSACHUSETTS To the year 1850
PUBLISHED BY FRANKLIN P. RICE,
Trustee of the Fund.
ON the 20th of October, 1759, part of Rutland and
certain common lands adjoining were established as
a District, which was for several years known as Rut-
land East Wing. This was incorporated as a town in
1771, and was named Princeton, in honor of Rev.
Thomas Prince, pastor of the Old South Church in
Boston, and a large proprietor in this tract of land.
On the 16th of February, 1810, a part of Hubbards-
ton was annexed to its territory, and on the 4th of
April, 1838, another extension was made by including
a part of the common lands of " No Town," so called.
The population of Princeton in 1791 was 1016; in
1850, 1254; in 1900, 975.
The list of Princeton Births, Marriages and Deaths comprised
in this volume has been prepared under the direction of Francis
E. Blake, Esq., of Boston, to whom the Publisher is indebted for
much assistance and many valuable suggestions. The materials
have been several times revised and compared with original
authorities. Some additions to the names and dates found in
the Town Books, compiled from church records, burial inscrip-
tions, and from various other public and private sources, are in-
corporated with the official entries, these being indicated in each
instance by proper reference.
All of the records are condensed as much as is consistent with
intelligibility and accuracy of information, but differences in
duplicates, and explanatory or other matter which seemed desir-
able or necessary, appear in brackets.
Marriages and intentions of marriage are printed under the
names of both parties, but the full information concerning each
person is given only under his or her name. An asterisk after a
marriage indicates that the intention was not found recorded,
and in most cases this is accounted for by the fact that neither
party belonged in Princeton, and consequently publishment was
When places other than Princeton and Massachusetts are
named in the original records they are given in the printed