Vital Records of Oakham, Massachusetts to the Year 1850
Published by Franklin P. Rice, Trustee of the Fund
F. H. Gilson Company
The list of Oakham Births, Marriages and Deaths comprised in this volume includes all that were found in the Town Books covering the period from the earliest date there recorded to the end of the year 1849. Marriages and Deaths from the records of the First Church, and Deaths from the gravestone inscriptions in the Burial Grounds have been added to make the record as complete as possible, and these sources are indicated in each instance by proper reference.
All of the records are condensed in print as much as is consistent with intelligibility, accuracy, and completeness of information. Differences in duplicates, and explanatory or other matter which seemed necessary or desirable, appear in brackets.
Marriages and intentions of marriage are printed under the names of both parties, but the full information concerning each person is given only under his or her name. An asterisk after a
marriage indicates that the intention was not found recorded, and in many cases this is accounted for by the fact that neither party belonged in Oakham, and consequently publishment was made elsewhere.
The double date is used in the mo11ths of January, February and March prior to 1752 only when it so appears in the original, and instances of the modern form after 1725 are not uncommon. When places other than Oakham and Massachusetts are named
in the original records, they are given in the printed copy.
C.R.- church record
d.- daughter; day ; died
D.R.- death record
dup.- duplicate entry
G.S.1.- gravestone record from Old Cemetery by the Church
G.S.2.- gravestone record from Southwest Cemetery
G.S.3.- gravestone record from West Cemetery
G.S.4.- gravestone record from South Cemetery
G.S.5. - gravestone record from Boyd Cemetery
G.S.6.- gravestone record from Green Hollow Cemetery
int.- publishment of intention of marriage
m.- male ; married ; month
o.s.- Old Style
P.R.- private record
The age given in the Deaths is in years unless otherwise indicated.
Established as a District, June 7, 1762, from part of Rutland, having formerly been known as
Rutland West Wing. It was incorporated as a town, Aug. 23, 1775.
Population at different periods: 1765, 270; 1776,
598; 1790, 772; 1800, 801; 1810, 848; 1820,986;
1830, 1010; 1840, 1038; 1850, 1137.
Population in 1900, 588.
Number of Births printed ............ 1,667
Marriages ........... 730 - 1,460 names
Deaths ...................... 711