Vital Records of Hamilton, Massachusetts, To The Year 1850
Published by the Essex Institute
Salem, Mass., 1908
Newcomb and Gauss
The following records of births, marriages and deaths include all entries to be
found in the books of record kept by the town clerks; in the church records; in
the cemetery inscriptions; and in private records found in family Bibles. These
records are printed in a condensed form in which every essential particular has
been preserved. All duplication of the town clerks' record has been eliminated,
but differences in entry and other explanatory matter appear in brackets. Parentheses
are used when they occur in the original record; also to indicate the maiden nameof
When places other than Hamilton and Massachusetts are named in the original
records, they are given in the printed copy. Marriages and intentions of marriage
are printed under the names of both parties. In all records the original spelling
of names is followed and in the alphabetical arrangement the various forms should
be examined, as items about the same family may be found under different spellings.
The territory comprising the town of Hamilton was originally a part of Ipswich,
known as the " Hamlet." The parish was incorporated Oct. 14, 1713 as the Third Church
of Ipswich. The town was incorporated as Hamilton on June 21, 1793. It is said that
the name was suggested by Rev. Manasseh Cutler, D. D., pastor of the church, who
as a member of Congress, had an acquaintance with Alexander Hamilton.
The population of Hamilton at different periods was as follows :
C. R.—Congregational Church records.
d.—daughter; day; died.
G. R. 1.—gravestone record, Hamilton cemetery.
h.—husband ; hour.
int.—intention of marriage.
m.—male; married; month.
P. R. 1.—Record of Hamilton vital statastics kept by Lovering, now in possession
of the Congregational Church.
P. R. 2.—Bible record now in possession of Mrs. Harriet S. Burnham of Beverly.
P. R. 3.—Cemetery inscriptions copied by Alfred Poor in 1867, and now in possession
of the Essex Institute.