Vital Records of Essex, Massachusetts to the Year 1850
Published by the Essex Institute.
Salem, Mass., 1908.
Newcomb & Gauss
The following records of births, marriages and deaths include all entries
to be found in the books of record kept by the town clerks; in the church records;
in the cemetery inscriptions; and in private records found in family Bibles. These
records are printed in a condensed form in which every essential particular has
been preserved. All duplication of the town clerks' record has been eliminated,
but differences in entry and other explanatory matter appear in brackets. Parentheses
are used when they occur in the original record; also to indicate the maiden name
of a wife.
When places other than Essex and
Massachusetts are named in the original records, they are given in the
printed copy. Marriages and intentions of marriage are printed under
the names of both parties. In all records the original spelling of names is
followed and in the alphabetical arrangement the various forms should be examined,
as items about the same family may be found under different spellings.
The territory comprising the present town of Essex was originally a
part of Ipswich, and was known as Chebacco Parish.
The parish was established Dec. 10, 1679, and the town of Essex
was incorporated Feb. 5, 1819.
The population of Essex at different periods was as follows:
C. R.-Congregational Church records.
d.-daughter; day; died.
G. R. 1.-gravestone record, Old Burial ground.
G. R. 2.-gravestone record, New Cemetery.
int.-intention of marriage.
m.-male; married; month.
P. R. 1. -Bible record now in possession of the Home for Aged Women,
P. R. 2.-Cemetery inscriptions copied by Alfred Poor, in 1867, and now in
possession of the Essex Institute.