American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
copyright and NEHGR articles
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Robin Anderson

I am not clear about what permissions we have for copying data and articles from NEHGR to other sites.  I would love to post the excellent articles, for example about the Bullard-Bignette family (Vol. 154, pg. 172), to my family tree on Ancestry.com.  

Knowing what happens on the site, it is almost certain that the article would be copied from my tree to many others.  In my opinion, this would only raise the level of scholarship in that venue. However, I also do not wish to take advantage of my privileges or to abuse copyrights.

Can someone please advise me about downloading NEHGR articles and reposting them to Ancestry?

Thank you for your time and attention.

Created By:Robin Anderson

Well, since asking this question, my ability to download pages appears to have disappeared...  I am hoping that the two are not related.  

I have no interest in taking advantage of anyone.  However, this site is only valuable to me if I am able to collect research data (for my own use in my personal family tree).

I have since read the terms of use and understand that posting articles would be unacceptable.  That is fine.  But I do need to be able to download data from journals and articles in order to do the work.  

Just after displaying a page from a journal (for example, TAG or NEHGR), when I try to save it locally, it says something like "this page is not found."   Huh?

Would someone please respond, let me know why I can no longer download pages?  

Created By:Daniel Brown
I suspect this will raise a few eyebrows and its nothing new, but I use a free app called "screenshotcaptor" (google for it) and I can copy anything that appears on my computer screen into a microsoft page.  However, image size is limited to what you can see on your computer screen.  The go-around on that is to piece images together such as assembling a column of text.  Image size  be adjusted but over-sizing a photo can lead to a fuzzy image.  Regardless, its an inexpensive and quick operation.  I even use to copy Google Earth images.
User Rank: Contributor

Created By:Dale Cook
Robin Anderson wrote:

"Just after displaying a page from a journal (for example, TAG or NEHGR), when I try to save it locally, it says something like 'this page is not found.'  Huh?"

Does this happen with all page images from journals? If so, there is likely a problem with your computer.

Which image viewer are you using on AmericanAncestors.org? If you switch from, say, Silverlight to the basic viewer are you still unable to save images using the "download original" link?

Dale H. Cook, Member, NEHGS and MA Society of Mayflower Descendants;
Plymouth Co. MA Coordinator for the USGenWeb Project
Administrator of http://plymouthcolony.net

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society