American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
Harry Jones, son of John and Lydia (Murry) Jones
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Sherri Q

I have hit a brick wall in my genealogical research regarding my mother's paternal line. Her father, Harry Jones, was born in 1918 in Hanson, Massachusetts. His father, also Harry Jones, was born in either 1875, 1876, 1877 or 1879. His date of birth is listed as March 28; the year varies according to his death certificate (Barre, Vermont) and various other records I've found.

The elder Harry Jones was the son of John Jones, born in either New York or Wales, and Lydia (or Lizzie) Murry (or Murray), born in Pennsylvania or NY. 

According to Harry's marriage record, his mother was Lydia Murry, and his death certificate lists her as Lizzie Murray. 

Harry was born in either Moriah NY (per a son's birth record), Bombay NY (per his death certificate), or Malone NY (per another son's birth record). Moriah is in Essex County NY, and the other two are in Franklin County NY. There is also a Moira in Franklin County NY. I have searched (read: I read each and every page!) the 1880 Census Records for each of these towns and can find no record of a John Jones and wife Lydia/Lizzie with a son Harry. My next step will be to go through every page of every census for each of the three counties adjacent to the area of Vermont where Harry died, assuming perhaps that the family moved in that direction?

A cousin thinks that Andrew Jones of Bombay NY and his wife Lydia with son Henry (b 1872) may be who we are looking for, but I'm not convinced. 

I believe Harry's middle name was Roy, from what my grandfather had told me.

Harry married Sadie Bears in Massachusetts and had the following children:

Alexander (believe he died as an infant as he does not show on 1910 census)

Dorothea/Dorathea, m. Lamkin/Lampkin

Christine/Christina, m. Quero

Harry (just Harry on birth record, but Harry R on census records; grandfather said his middle name was supposed to be Roy like his father's but that it never made it onto his birth certificate), m. Marjorie Bergeron

Ralph, m. Mary Bergeron (sister of Marjorie)

George, unmarried

James, d. at age 12

Paul, unmarried

David, d. young

They moved from Massachusetts to northwestern Vermont (Barre). When my grandfather was a child, he was deaf and his mother moved herself and the children back to Massachusetts so that he could have surgery to fix his hearing (her husband "didn't believe in doctors" and refused to move). She and the children stayed in Massachusetts, and he remained in Vermont until his death in 1953.

Can anyone shed any light?

Sherri

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society