American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
Privateers during the American Revolution
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Beth Willis
I need ideas on where to find information on men who served aboard privateer ships during the Revolution. Specifically, my 6th ggf, James Oliver, is listed in Massachusetts Soldiers and Sailors of the American Revolution, as serving aboard the Junius Brutus in 1780. I cannot find anything further on him in this regard. I have a record of his marriage and the birth of his children, all in Stoneham, MA. Inscribed on his wife's headstone (she died in 1791) he is referred to as "Capt. James Oliver."

Created By:Judi Temple

I am facing the same challenge.  I have found some information online and there are books that have been written that you will find mentioned as you search online.  I've also found some mention of the privateers in local histories such as in "The History of Newbury" that is available on Ancestry.com.  A Sketch of the history of Newbury Newburyport and West Newbury from 1635 to 1845 also has some mention of privateers.  You can find a list of books at this link:  http://www.usmm.org/books.html#anchor26186

Good luck!

Created By:Beth Willis
Thank you, Judi! I will follow up on your suggestions! Good luck to you, too. (✿◠‿◠)

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society