American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
BROOKINS/BROOKINGS in Newbury/Newburyport Mass
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Judi Temple

See related posting on BROOKINGS and LUNT in Newbury/Newburyport.

Trying to sort out the ancestry of Samuel BROOKINS/BROOKINGS, father of Samuel, Joseph, John, Johnson, Lydia Lunt, and Sarah born between 1745 and 1761 in the early births of Newbury.  He would be the Samuel BROOKINGS who married Mrs Mary LUNT in 1741.   I have seen Samuel identified as a descendant of Henry BROOKINGS of the Isle of Shoals.  If so, the most likely Samuel in that line was born in 1719, son of Henry and Sarah YOUNG, born in Kittery or York, Maine.  There are LUNTS who were documented in the Isle of Shoals about the same time.  However, in the book Essex County, Massachusetts Biographies, their is a short bio of a Samuel BROOKINGS, which would be the great-great-grandson of the Samuel who married Mrs. Mary LUNT I think, but the bio indicates that the great-grandfather emigrated from England.  Though the wife of the great-grandfather isn't named in the bio, he would be of the generation of the Samuel BROOKINGS that is ancestor #A014948 on the DAR registry that was married to Elizabeth Mighill.  On the DAR registry, it says he was born in Newbury.  This would indicate that the bio is wrong or there were two different Samuel BROOKINGS.  I also found a Samuel BROOKINS as a private in Massachusetts Officers and Soldiers dating back to 1722 indicating that there was possibly another BROOKINGS line in Massachusetts though the city of residence isn't provided.

Has anyone worked these lines in Massachusetts who could shed any light?  I can't find a BROOKINS genealogy.  The DAR lineage is that of mostly Thomas given names but it can be fit into the Samuel bio lineage with the exception of the birth of Samuel the patriot himself.  Are there other BROOKINGS/BROOKINS lines?  Any help would be appreciated. 

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society