American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
BROOKINS/BROOKINGS and Mrs Mary LUNT in Newbury/Newburyport Mass
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Judi Temple

I'm trying to sort out the BROOKINS and variant spellings in Newbury and Newburyport and a question about a particular marriage.  It seems I descend from Samuel BROOKINGS and Mary LUNT married on June 16, 1741 in Newbury.  Both of the extensive genealogies for LUNT that I've found (The Ancestry of Abel Lunt 1769-1806 of Newbury, Massachusetts and A History of the Lunt Family in America) indicate that Mary LUNT was born on March 19, 1725, the daughter of Henry LUNT and Sarah ANDERSON.  However, the transcriptions of their marriage record state "Mrs Mary Lunt", suggesting that she might have not been a LUNT at all. Has anyone noticed this?  What are the chances that she would have not been married before and/or been a widow if Mrs was noted (in other words an error)?  Or is there another reason to note Mrs?  I am also skeptical due to the the fact that this Mary would only have been 15 at the time of the marriage, which seems young.  I've searched but not found another Mrs Mary Lunt that would make sense in light of her years of childbearing, which could be how the authors decided it was this Mary and then just ignored the transcription (or determined it was an error).  She could be the wife/widow of a LUNT whose marriage isn't documented in the genealogies or the Newbury/Newburyport marriages.  

Any help is appreciated!  See related post regarding the identity of Samuel.

User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Judi Temple
One fact I forgot to mention, their children included Johnson, a LUNT given name, and Lydia Lunt, which would lend credibility that she was actually a LUNT.  But is it reasonable that she might name children for a prior spouse?  Or would this be more compelling to think the Mrs was in error and that she married at 15?

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society