American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
Moses TODD of Newburyport. Who were his parents?
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Janice Moerschel

My inquiry this time is about Moses TODD "of Newburyport."  He was born in about 1782-1783 and I do not know if he was born in Newburyport, Mass. or was just "of" Newburyport.  His marriage records state only that he was "of Newburyport," Massachusetts.  He married Elizabeth (Betsey) PHILBRICK - perhaps in both Newburyport and Hampton Falls, NH in 1810.  They had a daughter Hannah Philbrick TODD in 1811.  Shortly thereafter, they moved to Philadelphia and the family is recorded in the 1820 census there.

In Philadelphia, the couple had two more children:  Elizabeth and Benjamin Philbrick TODD.

There was another "Moses Todd" who was born in Rowley, Mass. to George and Lucy Todd.  This man died in 1868 in Rowley, Mass.  He married an Elizabeth (in 180 whose maiden surname was TODD and they had a number of children.  So this, I believe, is a different Moses from my ancestor.

My Moses Todd died on 18 Feb. 1862 in Philadelphia and it was recorded that he was about 80 years old.  I have a record of his death but it does not state the names of his parents. 

His first wife Elizabeth, m.s. PHILBRICK, is supposed to have died in 1852 but Moses' married - in 1844 - a woman named Margaret Robinson and had children with her as well. Rather odd if his first wife was still alive - but no explanation.

Nonetheless, what I am most interested to learn is who were Moses Todd's parents and where was he born.  Searches at this website and at Ancestry have provided nothing definitive at all.  Any help greatly appreciated.

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society