American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
Polycarpus Packard and Ruth Nash Marriage proof
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Chris Haley

I am hoping to find additional proof for where Carpus Packard and Ruth Nash were married. Pollicarpus was born 26 Jan 1768 in Brockton, Plymouth, Massachusetts. His name has been spelled various ways. Ruth was born 19 Nov 1771 in Plainfield, Hampshire, Massachusetts. We have been able to find proof in secondary sources, but are in need of primary proof. Because of the time, it may have to be a will or some other legal proceeding.

I am also looking for primary sources to prove he had a son named Solomon.

Any assistance you can provide would be extremely helpful. -- Chris

User Rank: Contributor

Created By:Dale C
First I would like to make a correction to your post:

> Pollicarpus was born 26 Jan 1768 in Brockton, Plymouth, Massachusetts.

Brockton did not exist in 1768. The name of the town of North Bridgewater was not changed to Brockton until 05-May-1874 [MA Hist. Data, 5th ed., p. 26]. North Bridgewater was not established as a town until 15-Jun-1821 [ibid.]. Pollycarpus was born 26-Jan-1768 in Bridgewater [Bridgewater VR 1:247].

> I am hoping to find additional proof for where Carpus Packard and Ruth Nash were married.

They were married at Cummington:

"PACKARD ... Pollicarpus of Jerico and Ruth Nash of Plainfield, Feb. 16, 1795.*" [Cummington VR p. 141].

The asterisk indicates that no marriage intention was recorded at Cummington.

There were a few places in Massachusetts archaically called Jericho, but in this case "Jerico" undoubtedly refers Jericho, VT - FindAGrave shows the graves of Pollycarpus and Ruth in that town. Jericho is where I would suggest looking for birth records for their children.

Dale H. Cook, Member, NEHGS and MA Society of Mayflower Descendants;
Plymouth Co. MA Coordinator for the USGenWeb Project
Administrator of http://plymouthcolony.net

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society