American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
TODD-PHILBRICK-ROBINSON
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Janice Moerschel

Family legend has it that Hannah P. (m.s. TODD) Pearson's (b. 1811 in Newburyport, Mass.)ancestry can be traced back to the Rev. John Robinson of Mayflower fame and I would love to determine if this is true - or not.

Hannah's father was Moses TODD (of Newburyport, Mass) and mother was Elizabeth (Betsey) PHILBRICK (of Rockingham, NH). 

Elizabeth PHILBRICK Todd's parents were Samuel PHILBRICK and Hannah (m.s. ROBINSON) Philbrick.  Hannah was born in New Hampshire - I believe in about 1763) and it is her parents that I would like to verify.

Her father was supposed to be John ROBINSON.  I don't know for sure who his wife was but I think the couple was from Massachusetts.  He was probably born around 1740 - as best I can tell. Can anyone help?  Would love to know the name of John ROBINSON's wife and see where the ROBINSON line may trace from there.

Created By:Marian_5

There is a brief article in The American Genealogist Vol. 55 p 16-18 that deals briefly with the origins of a John Robinson.  "John Robinson (1612-1675) of Newbury, Haverhill and Exeter"  by Douglas Richardson, M.A. 

This would probably be a good place to look for the ancestor of Hannah Robinson.

Created By:Marian_5

The "History of the Town of Exeter, NH" p 517 states that Samuel Philbrick s of Benjamin b 20 April 1758 married Hannah Robinson daughter of John Robinson of Cape Ann b. 20 Aug 1763.

The children of this couple are listed including Elizabeth b. 7Feb 1787.  Mrs. Hannah Philbrick d 5 Nov. 1810 age 47.

The New Hampshire records that are on Ancestry give Hannah's birth with name of father John and her death with only the father's name. Both in Exeter and the dates are the same.

Cape Ann/Gloucester would be were to look and according to the History of the Town of Gloucester

Abraham Robinson settled there and was a son of Rev. John Robinson.  This would of course need more research and proof.

Hop this is helpful.

Created By:Janice Moerschel
I think it helps.  Many thanks - again!

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society