American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
The earliest mention of the Lazell Surname
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Barbara Combs
This is Barbara Lasell Rose Combs.  I have been tracking the Lazell Surname from John Lazell b 1619 in Castle Hedingham, Essex, England to his father William Lazell  and William Lazell's wife.  William Lazell was born in Castle Hedingham, Essex, England in 1581.  I am wondering if this spelling of the name goes back further or if it might be related to the Picot Lascelles name.  My E-Mail Addy is: combs.barbara@ymail.com Am hoping that someone might have this name going much further back than I do.  Thanks in advance for any help you are able to give.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Sincerely,                                                                                                                                                     Barbara Lasell Rose Combs                                                                                                                                                          

User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Susan Spencer 1

I was very surprised to see your post today on my first visit to this message board.   I have a 2nd great grandmother named Sophia Picot (Picott, Picotte) who is sometimes referred to as Picot Laysell.   I did not know that these 2 names actually can belong together until I read your message.   So you can see that I am not an expert on this name, but find your post giving me a clue. ( I believe I have one record that says her father was a Picot Layzelle) I do not know the origin of the name, but can tell you that my Sophia is presumed to be French Canadian having been born in Canada and married Levi Bashaw (Bachand, etc) who was born on St Hyancinthe, Quebec.   They settled in Brandon , Vermont.   I believe that one of their daughters married a Layzelle also.  

Can you tell me more about the name Picot Lasell?

User Rank: Contributor

Created By:Dale Cook
Would you please explain how you proved that the John Lazell born in Castle Hedingham was the same man as the one who died in Hingham in 1700?

Dale H. Cook, Member, NEHGS and MA Society of Mayflower Descendants;
Plymouth Co. MA Coordinator for the USGenWeb Project
Administrator of http://plymouthcolony.net

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society