American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
Lettie E Covell, Civil War nurse, Adams Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee
User Rank: Contributor

Created By:Michael Fiske

According to In Honor of the National Association ofCivil War Army Nurses.  1910.

http://www23.us.archive.org/details/inhonorofnationa00nati

“Mrs. Buckley served as a nurse being enlisted by SanitaryCommission under her maiden name, Miss Lettie E. Covell from October 1863 toJune 1865 at Memphis in the Washington and Adams Hospitals at Memphis,Tennessee.

Mrs. Buckley is 73 years of age and receives a pension.

She has held several offices in the Association.  Her address is 1955 North Erie Street,Chicago, Illinois.”

Miss Covell is mentioned in several letters written fromAdams Hospital, by my second great grandfather, Thomas Hannah, Illinois 95thInfantry, Company G, to his wife, Elizabeth Marshall Hannah, in Belvidere,Illinois.  Thomas was a ward master atAdams Hospital.

In a letter dated 31 January 1863, Thomas writes:

“I will now have to put up my writing again as Mary andMaggy want me to go down to the boat with them to see Miss Covell (?) I off whohas been one of our nurses and is now going to start for one of the hospitalsin Louisville I am sory to part with her she was such a good woman ..”

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society