American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
SEXTON
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Sholom Simon
Looking for information on the parents of the Gershom Sexton who m1 Abigail King, m2 Hannah Pease.   I've seen many uncited sources which give George Sextion and Hannah Spencer as the parents, but I'm looking for a reasonable source which  backs this up.  Thanks!
User Rank: Contributor

Created By:Dale H. Cook
> Looking for information on the parents of the Gershom Sexton who m1 Abigail King, m2 Hannah Pease.

When and where?

Created By:Sholom Simon
(I can't believe I left that out!)

Geshom Sexton m1 20 Jan 1708/09 Hartford, Abigail King (dau of Thomas King and Abigail Strong), b 31 Jan 1686/7,  Hatfield, Mass; m2. Hannah Pease 1 Jun 1716

(Tangent: Gershom Sexton and Abigail King, through daughter Jerusha Sexton (who m Isaac Cook), b 11 Oct 1713 Wallingford, Conn.; is the ancestor of Lucy Webb, wife of Rutherford B. Hayes)

So, my question is: I've seen many unsourced claims which give George Sexton and Hannah Spencer as the parents of Gershom, but I'm looking for a reasonable source which backs this up.  (I have no dates for Gershom's birth or death, but it stands to reason he was born in the 1680's or so).

Thanks!

Created By:Melissa_4
Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you.  But try to locate the probate for the bride's father.  If her father died after the daughter was married, she may be mentioned in her father's will or other probate documentation by her married name.  Even better, try to view the original probate documentation on film.  I was very lucky in one case.  No will, but the daughter married while the probate was still going through the court.  The receipts were signed by her at first, but then signed by her husband after they were married.  Also, my husband has a Sexton line in CT as well.  Brick walled at George Sexton who married Sarah Knight in Hartford CT in 1699.  I have, however, discovered that primary and other records often use the spelling "Saxton", which has really helped to locate records.

Created By:Donna T
I have a Mrs. Hannah Sexton who married Daniel Brainard 29 Nov 1698 in Haddam, Middlesex, Connecticut, USA. Source is New England Marriages Prior to 1700 by Torrey p. 93. Hope that helps a little. Donna Thueson

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society