American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
missing death record
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Darlene Burbine
I've narrowed my great grandmother's first Husband, William Albert Williams date of death to after 1880 census and before her remarriage in Dec 1884 probably in Lynn, Ma., but am unable to find any online record(Family Search or Ancestry).  He was born about 1846 in Nova Scotia and they moved to Lynn(West), Ma. and he was on that census with his Wife, Mary(King) Williams Aug 1852 .   I did find a death record for their Daughter, Ethel when she was in her late teens or early 20's and it appears that she died of TB.  William and Mary's Son, Arthur is also deceased by the 1900 census.  I didn't see Lynn listed on towns for death records at Ancestry, so does this mean that they're not recorded yet ?  Did people also observe a year of mourning in the early 1880's ?       Darlene

Created By:Kathleen_130
Digitital images of Massachusetts vital records to 1915 are on this site (NEHGS - American Ancestors).  Good luck.

Created By:Darlene Burbine

I looked on Family Search and did find a death record there for one of his Children, Ethel. but he isn't there.  Would the city of Lynn, Ma. possibly have more records which may not have been transcribed ?

Created By:Melissa_4
While a lot of primary records have been put on line in the last couple of years, there is still a long way to go until we get to the point when we can do the research only on line.  The records on line right now are those from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, not the town records where the death was originally recorded.  You may need to go to an LDS Family History Center and order the microfilms for the local town records - the towns were required to copy their records and submit them to the state each year - they may have overlooked his record the year that he died (I had that happen to one).  If available to you, try to get local city directories and see if your ancestor is listed.  The year he is no longer there is a clue that he passed away, moved (or they left him out - that happened, too).  But it's a clue.  Another possibility is that he died in a different town.  I've seen that happen, too.  Went on a visit and died.  Am not certain that the one year of mourning was consistently observed.  I think that social class and circumstances had a lot to do with it.  Good luck!

Created By:Amy_M

You could try contacting the City of Lynn to see if they have a death record for him.  http://www.ci.lynn.ma.us/citydepartments_clerk.shtml#gpm2_4

Also, Lynn's Cemetery Dept. may be able to help you out http://www.ci.lynn.ma.us/citydepartments_pinegrove_cemetery.shtml#gpm1_4

Lastly, are you positive he died?  I have on occassion come across a divorced woman listed as widowed on a marriage record in Massachusetts vital records when she re-married.

Created By:Alan_14

Another option is try different parts of the name. I have a William ancestor & found it incorrectly spelled with two "i's" and one "L". This William's middle name is Wallace and have found he used that more often also some records have him listed as W. Wallace. Try using an asterisk after the "L" as a wild card in case there is a misspelling. Ex: Wil* this is how I found my William misspelling.

Also try surrounding towns to Lynn, as someone else mentioned the incident may have happened in a nearby community, I had an ancestor living in Boston as listed in the 1860 census but had died 2 years later in Natick. Good Luck

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society