American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
Susquehanna Company - Pennsylvania
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Kerry
How does one go about locating records in early Pennsylvania, particularly regarding those who may have been involved with the Susquehanna purchase?  Of interest to me is Stephen Miels/Miles/Mighill of Beekmans Precinct as late as 1762 (Settlers of Beekman Patent - per tax list cited; also citing NEHGS Register article by Gale Ion Harris, July & Oct 2004 issues "John Mighill of MA, NH & CT").  I suspect this is the same Stephen MIELS who signed a petition in 1769, at Ft. Durkee, PA, along with Eleazer Carey, another Beekman early resident and possibly neighbor/friend to Stephen Miels/Miles/Mighill.  I further suspect both gentlemen were involved with the Susquehanna Purchase and possibly removed to PA - Eleazer Carey almost certainly so, no substantial records to confirm Stephen Miels/Miles/Mighill resided there.  Stephen Miles is supposed to have been a customer of the Merrit Store in Dutchess Co. NY in 1771 (Settlers of Beekman Patent - article on Mighill/Miles family).  My theory is this Stephen died in PA, at some point after 1771, and may have left footprints in PA that may shed some light to confirm a list of his descendants etc.  Any information on early Pennsylvania research is greatly appreciated.

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society