American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
Drew surname – Barnston and St. George de Clarenceville, Quebec – 1790 to mid 1850
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Carole

Seeking any leads on the parents and origin of these Drew families:

Clement Drew born 1797 Quebec, spouse Betsey.

Asenath Drew born 1800 Barnston, spouse Isaac Flagg.

Elisha Drew born 8 Oct. 1806 Barnston, spouses Rebecca Lucas & Anna Ortensia Woodward.  

They all appear in the 1851 census on the same page, and I believe they are all Drew siblings. I have much information on their lives, deaths, and descendants, but nothing on their parents.  

A Clement and Elisha Drew appear as associates in land grants in Barnston in 1801-05, but these two men are clearly older than the ones above. In 1795 Elisha Drew, of Canada, signed an oath of allegiance to the Crown, and stated his intent to settle at Barnston. Clement Drew signed the same oath, and stated he was coming from Massachusetts (Maine was part of Mass. at that time).  

James Drew b 1801 Stanstead, spouse Sarah Ann Johnson, widow of H.V. Martin. James was son of unknown Drew and spouse Sarah b. abt 1770 in the US. They are in 1851 Census, St. Armand West, Quebec.   Also, Isaac Drew born about 1758 ME or NH, moved to Quebec in abt. 1797, died in 1821 in Barnston. Spouses, Priscilla Lord and Martha “Patty” Davis.  

There are a number of other Drews who moved from Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont to Quebec and lived there in the 1800-1890 time period, in Bolton, Barford, Brome, Stanstead, and Clarenceville. For example: Samuel Drew b. 1770 Redding, CT and spouse Ruth McDuffee, settled in Stanstead in 1800, had children there. He is the son of John Drew and Joanna Thorpe, they had 4 sons who settled in Stanstead. I have about 50 Drews in my database who were born in Quebec between 1775 and 1830, and these early years are challenging for research.

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society