American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
Royce to Rice
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:John

For many years I search to connect my gg grandfather Anson Barnes Rice (1825-1907)  of Litchfield County Connecticut to the many Rice families of Northern Connecticut without success. I knew that his father was Reuben Rice but there was no way that I could connect him to the Reuben Rice of Glastonbury  or the Reuben Rice of New Haven.  As you know, the pre-1850 records for Connecticut are rather complete so it was rather perplexing that I was unable to locate Reuben Rice.

One evening, after a full day of research at the LDS Library in Salt Lake city, I was reading a book on Barkhamsted Connecticut when I came across a reference to Ruben ROYCE and his family. Letting out a very loud scream and waiting for chastisement, I was instead greeted by applause by all as they realized that I had had a moment of revelation.  Then, finding the marriage of Reuben Royce and Emily Barnes confirmed it as Emily Barnes Rice and Anson Barnes Rice's wife Hannah Dayton Rice were buried in the same grave.

It became very easy to follow the Royce family from Barkhamsted to Wallingford, to New Haven and finally to New London.  All because of the book that mentioned Reuben Royce not Rice.

J J Maynard

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society