American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
Brownell - in Dutchess County
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Mark
I have Brownell ancestors in Pawling, Dutchess County, New York and it seems like that probably came from Little Compton, Rhode Island. Edward Brownell Sr (1739-1831) was running a tavern by 1790 so he was well established by then. Not sure when he arrived or what family he belonged to.

He married Elizabeth Brownell (~1751-1834). It appears her birth name was Brownell too. She has been connected with Joshua Brownell (Doherty, Frank: Settlers of the Beekman Patent; p802-803) though different sources place Joshua in different places.

Edward, however, is listed as an 'unplaced' Brownell (no parents/place). 

Can anyone suggest or point me in a direction to connect Edward back to the Little Compton community or wherever he might have come from? I'd like to give this guy a 'place'. Heck, I'd like to figure out how close he might be related to his wife too.

Thanks,
Mark

User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Dorothy_92

Do you have access to "Little Compton Families" by Benjamin Franklin Wilbur?  You might find a clue there.  It is on ancestry.com and may even be on this web site.

Judy

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society