American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
Error in Vital Records-Haverhill
User Rank: Contributor

Created By:Virginia

I have come across an error in the Haverhill Published Vital Records. 

For anyone researching the Eaton family of Haverhill.

Death entry on page 391, states Job Eaton, h. of Mary (Simons) d. January 10, 1698-9

This is their Marriage date not his death date.

They had 4 children, Samuel, 1699;Thomas, 1702; Abigail, 1703; Mary, 1707.

Job's estate was probated in Feb of 1718.

He served as a "snow-shoe" man in 1710 (from Chase's History of Haverhill, MA, p. 235.

Ginny

Created By:Dale H. Cook

I would like to add this correction to my page of corrections to published vital records:

http://plymouthcolony.net/resources/vrerrors.html

Where could researchers find proof of the correction? Would they need to consult the original town record (or a film or fiche thereof)?

Dale H. Cook, Member, NEHGS and MA Society of Mayflower Descendants;
Plymouth Co. MA Coordinator for the USGenWeb Project
Administrator of http://plymouthcolony.net

Created By:Virginia

Dale, This is an error that I see in the published VRs.  I do not have access to the originals at this point.

However, below is my reasoning why this published death record is not correct

Haverhill vrs, "births" Job Eatton, son of Thomas and Eunice (Singletary), b. 22 April 1671, p. 104.

Job Eatton m. 10 Jan 1698/9, Mary Simons. Haverhill Vrs."marriages" p. 103.

"Deaths" Job Eatton, husband of Mary Simons, p. 39 same date as marriage.(This is error, see below, as it conflicts with known birth dates of children)

Ch of Job & Mary (Simons) Haverhill Births, pps 106-108

Samuel 5 October 1699

Thomas, 20 February 1701/2

Abigail, 14 February 1703/4;

Mary, 9 June 1707

Also, Essex Co., probate #8519 dated 17 Feb 1717. Estate of Job Eaton, deceased. Wife, Mary named to administer estate.

An additional item that lends support to my above conclusion is from Chase's "History of Haverhill, MA" p. 235 - Job Eaton was on a list of so-called "Snow Shoe Men" in 1710.

So, it appears that he lived at least until that date.  It is unlikely that this is a different Job, as only one person of this name appears in the published vital records of Haverhill and Methuen, during that time frame.

Ginny

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society