American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
Indentured Servants
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Roscoe
My 6th Great Grandfather, Robert Hastings, arrived in Haverhill, MA about 1670.  In the book "Peaslees and Others of Haverhill and Vicinity" it states that he arrived on a ship carrying bricks to build the Joseph Peaslee house.  Robert was a mason and built the Peaslee Garrison House which still stands today on East Broadway in Haverhill.  I have not been able to trace Robert's origin or parents.  My theory has been that he learned the mason trade in Ireland and then came to America as an indentured servant.  There seems to be considerable controversy over whether bricks were transported from England to the US.  I am now wondering if the ship loaded with bricks may have come from Maryland and that Robert may have come to America as a young boy and learned the mason trade in Maryland.  Does anyone know where records of indentureship in England, Ireland or Maryland might be found?

Created By:lisa taisey

Just yesterday a distant relatie on my ancestry site posted excellent pictures and resources about indentured from Ireland to Australia and I literally read it in AWE!!!  Excellent resource and states quite a bit info on the person in question. I was curious how a cow thief with no priors got LIFE COMPARED TO A MANSLAUGHTER case???  You are welcome to look at my public ancestry tree and see the resources from Phillip in Australia and the pictures and documents he posted to my tree are quite fasinating considering the time period and the difference between the USA & Australia.  The small beautiful churches and cemetaries are BREATHTAKING and so quaint...

Created By:John

If your relative was an Endentured servant I doubt if he were able to bring anything with him except the clothes on his back and little else.

I found records of my 5'th Grt Grandparent from England as recorded in Vol 2, of the City of Bristol's Embarkation Records. It included the name of the Ship and the date of Embarkation.

Parlliament passed an ordinance that all information had to be recorded and all ships searched by Marshals before leaving port , to make sure no children were being kidnapped. The records show the name of the Bond Master to whom the person was endentured. Many were consigned to Virginia but left in other ports before getting their. I do not have the book, but a good Library might be able to find it for you. Go to the Genealogical Dept. of a good Library.

Try this first.

http://www.virtualjamestown.org/indentures/search_indentures.cgi?search

Also search the New England Genealogical Register (If you have a membership) Vol. 93 (Oct. 1939) Page 384

I formerly lived in No. Andover in fact was born there. You may reach me at Jha1656518@Centurylink.net.

Is Hannah Duston's statue still upright?

John Harris

Created By:James Pratt 1
Most indentured servants were not skilled tradesmen such as masons (the notable exception being the carpenters sent over by Gorges and Mason to the initial settlement in Maine).      Your Maryland hypothesis might be worth checking out.  Hastings is a common surname on the Eastern Shore (common enough that I`m having a hard time sorting out my Hastings ancestors there).        

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society