American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
Sheffroth/Shepard of Saint John NB/Halifax
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Maureen

I'm trying to make a connection from my 3rd gr grandfather, William Sheffroth to Halifax NS.  He was born abt 1799 and married Jane Anderson January 4, 1828 in the Anglican Parish of Portland (now Saint John), New Brunswick.  It lists them both from Portland NB.  I can't locate his place of birth.  On the 1851 Can Census he is listed as Dutch, Loyalist Back Settler along with his wife and many children including my gr gr grandmother.   From there, he is listed on various records as being Irish, Scottish, English and disappears and Jane is listed as a widow in 1861 living with Mary, Caroline and Susanna.  I have no death info. for Jane or William yet.  Jane seems mostly to be considered from Ireland. I think she is living with their son William in 1891 as Janie Shepard age 82.  However, there's another William and Jane (Caussaly) Shepard living in that area so I am not sure.

There was a Georg Johan Schaffroth who arrived in 1751 to Halifax on the ship Gale from Rotterdam.  I have a suspicion he might be connected as the name isn't terribly common.  I contacted the little Dutch Church in Halifax but they aren't familiar with the name and suggested the St. George's Archive collection.  There are several George, Jacob, Phillip and Peter Sheffro, Sheffer, Shafer, Schaffro, Schaffneau and other variations listed in early poll tax records for Halifax. 

Also, as I'm sure is common with farming/laboring people, the name morphs into Shepard via William's son William.  He seems to be the only one of the children who became a Shepard from what I can tell.   In 1851 he is Sheffroth.  In 1861 he's living with bro. John Sheprath.  In 1871 it is Sheppeartt, in 1881 it is Sheppherd, in 1891 it is Shepard and from 1901 on it is Shephard.   My gr uncle died in 1933 in Cambridge, MA.  His death record lists his mother as Susan Sheffrow.  At the same time, his sister, my gr grandmother, became a US citizen and her document lists her mother as Sheffroth. 

So back to the point,

*I would appreciate some suggestions what records might tell  me if William Sheffroth and Jane Anderson were Loyalists.  I've found no land records yet.

*If they immigrated from Ireland, what records/passenger lists are there from early 1800s and where are they?

*I may be in NB this summer and would welcome suggestions on places I can line up for research.

edited on 3/23/12 to add info rec'd from John MacKay of UELAC Saint John, NB branch

There are two good places to look, the John Fisher Memorial Museum in Kingston, NB and the Kings County Museum in Hampton NB. These two villages are not far apart, but you could easily spend a whole day in each one, and they would certainly have files on first families.
I don't know of any passenger lists from Halifax to New Brunswick, but you can ask at the Nova Scotia Provincial Archives when you're in Halifax.
There are several basic sources of Loyalist data in New Brunswick, including the Provincial Archives in Fredericton and the Harriet Irving Library Loyalist Collection, both on the campus of the University of New Brunswick in Fredericton.
In Saint John there are two collections, one at the Public Library research department and the other at the NB Provincial Museum archives. Again, be prepared to spend some time!

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society