American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
New Hampshire Vital Records???
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Alice
The information appearing in the New Hampshire Vital Records I have found on-line (familysearch.org) seems to have some info that does not make sense, when the records for a man with his wife and children are all place together.  I see that the images show dates in the 1900 - 1910 +/- time frame; but the birth & death dates are in the early to mid 1800's.  I am suspecting that these are copies made onto index cards and quite possibly contain errors!!  Is anyone else questioning these records?  Can the original records from the 1820's - 1850's be found???

Created By:Patty

I have contacted Family Search about their N.H. Vital Records. They say that they plan to fix the errors at a later date.

I'm sure they were copied from the index cards at the State Archives in Concord.

Patty

User Rank: Contributor

Created By:Virginia

The early NH vital records were recorded on the town level.  Many, if not most, are intermixed with the town records.  You can contact the individual town clerks to try for this information.  There is a substantial collection of microfilmed town records located at the New Hampshire State Library in Concord.  I have used these for some of my families with good results.

Also, church records can be informative, but I have less experience with them, than I do with the town records. 

Ginny

Created By:James Pratt 1
When state-level recording was adopted, the city and town clerks were encouraged to send in past records, abstracted from whatever system their predecessors employed. They are easily recognizable, because there are lots of blanks on the returns (usually they have only the bare minimum: child`s name, date of birth, father`s name).    While valuable, they should be treated as secondary (or even tertiary) sources, subject of potential copying or transcription errors.  (One family of my ancestors lived in Gilead, Maine; the pre-1892 vital records at the Maine State Archives include returns for the children born in New Hampshire before they moved to Gilead; evidently the town clerk recorded the birth dates of the whole family from the family Bible when they settled there).

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society