American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
Atwood, George H.
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Robert Atwood

I am a new member of NEHGS, trying to overcome a roadblock relating to the birthplace, and parentage, of my great-grandfather, George Hayward Atwood - born c. 1854 possibly in the New Bedford/Fairhaven area of Massachusetts.  Removed to Greenville, Maine c. 1880's and subsequently to Pejepscot Village, Topsham, Maine c. 1910.

GHA married Abigail "Abby" Fairbrother of Orono, Maine 10 Oct 1884 in Greenville.

MA vitals do not list anyone of that name in the time frame or location suggested.

If this is not the appropriate forum on which to list such requests, my apologies in advance as well as thanks for advice and direction.

Created By:Lainey Sainte Marie

Dear George:

We have some elusive Atwood's in our family as well, so I am familiar with a few areas in New England where you might want to look.

Take a look on some of the Cape Cod sites. I have found Atwood families listed in Eastham, MA; Truro, MA; Wellfleet, MA; Orleans, MA; Chatham, MA and Harwich, MA.

There is a good genealogy library in Dennis, MA, which might be helpful to you.

Good luck to you!

Lainey Sainte Marie

Created By:Lainey Sainte Marie

Regarding George Atwood? Take a look at this site: http://capecodhistory.us/genealogy/wellfleet/Names20.htm

All the Best,

Lainey Sainte Marie

Created By:Merrylyn

Hello,

According to the marriage certificate of George and Abbie's son, Frank Beryl Atwood, his father was born in New Bedford, MA. Abbie appears to have been born in Patten, ME though the handwriting for her place of birth is a bit blurred.

Frank B. Atwood married Blanche Irene Williams on 22 Aug 1920 at Pejepscot Mills, ME.

I can probably get much more info for you!  write me at: merrylyn.sawyer@gmail.com

Created By:Robert Atwood
Thank you!  I shall check the link about Atwoods on Cape Cod.  Pretty sure that is the origin, but cannot yet trace George H. Atwood to a specific line.

Created By:Marian_5

There is a George H. Atwood (age 7) in the 1860 Census living in Plymouth, Plymouth, MA.

Here is the family.  All are born in Massachusetts except Sarah b in Maine although you have to look at the original because the summary has her listed as Massachusetts.  In other words if the original is given always check it because mistakes can be made.

William  age 52    Ship Master

Sarah          38

William P     10

George H      7

Josie B         6

Fred W         3

This looks like a good candidate for the George H. you are seeking.

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society