American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
DNA Testing
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:lisa taisey
Waiting for my DNA testing results.  Very excited.  I would be interested to know if anyone has gotten them done and were the results what they expected?

Created By:Jennifer Thurber Willis

I am waiting for my own AncestryDNA autosomal DNA results right now.  Very curious to see if there is anything interesting ethnically, and to see if there are any matches.

Previously I asked my Dad to do his Y-DNA as part of the Thurber DNA project I started in order to determine whether descendants of Benjamin Thurber b. c. 1720 in Rhode Island matched descendants of the original immigrant John Thurber.  The results for other people were good in that descendants of Benjamin did match descendants of John, so even though Benjamin's birth was unrecorded, he definitely fits into some Thurber family, only one or two of which make sense.  However my Dad did not match the "real" Thurbers, though I think I know where the break was--an adoption in 1835 in the Eastern Townships of Quebec.  So that was a little disappointing, and my Dad has not been an exact match with anyone at all at 25 markers, though he seems close to quite a few Scots, and there were a lot of Scottish settlers in the Eastern Townships.

I also asked my husband to do Y-DNA to see if it would help with the rearch of his County Mayo Roman Catholic Willis ancestors.  He matches a lot of people with other Irish surnames and one other Willis.  I traced that Willis family back to Ireland but cannot connect it to my husband's family, who seem to have been established in the Hollymount/Ballinrobe area before 1800.  I am quite sure the immigrant ancestor Richard Willis had a brother John who immigrated to Youngstown, Ohio, so I keep hoping one of his descendants will get tested.

So it has been interesting but so far hasn't led to any huge breakthroughs!

Created By:Daniel Brown
I am involved in a Brown Y-DNA Project .  My particular results, although pointing to a generalized early origin in western europe, more particularly indicated unexpected and unclear headings for my recent 4-generation male lineage .... apparent linkages to other surname family lines that have yet to be explained .... which goes to show that there is no substitute for the research of hard-core documentation.  DNA work is a good path to at least confirm such research.  Others have had very helpful results.

Created By:Peter

I had a Y-DNA analysis performed two years ago.  It was helpful in that it confirmed that I wasn't related to the Haskell line that began in America in Gloucester,MA during the Great Migration.  My GGGG grandfather and his sons changed their name from Haskins to Haskell around 1825.  The good news was, the DNA results confirmed that name change.  The bad news was, I did not match well with almost all of the results for the Hoskins/Haskins surname in both Ancestry.com and FamilyTreeDNA (where I had my testing done).  However, I did have one perfect match with a living Haskins male, which tells me I am very probably in a bonafide Hoskins/Haskins blood line.

I have since determined that my lack of matches with the rest of the results in the database is probably because I am the only person to have submitted results who has a clear ancestral link to Hoskins/Haskins individual from southeastern Massachusetts (Tauntion, Middleboro, Freetown, Rochester).  So now I am searching for living descendants who can be tied to that geographic area, in hopes of identifying clear relationships.  [Note: There seem to have multiple distinct Hoskins lines that ended up in that area]

As a long time Ancestry.com subscriber, I was offered the opportunity to participate in their DNA Beta site, a more broad-spectrum DNA analysis with the purpose of identifying close and more distant cousins, regardless of surname.  I have been fortunate to identify most ancestors back six generations, and all signs point to English roots; except..... we believe that my mysterious GGGG grandfather Haskins had a Wampnoag Indian woman for a mother, base on family lore repeated across all five branches of his descendants.   If that were true, I would be 1/128 Wampanoag.  Sure enough, the new Ancestry results, which I just obtained, declare my ancestry to 99% British Isles and 1% other (Indian I'm sure).

Bottom line, DNA results can either provide a clear breakthrough in you search, or an intermediate step that points to additional avenues of endeavor, as it has in my case.

Created By:Maureen
Does anybody know the status of health insurance implications of DNA testing as far as pre-existing conditions, specifically any court rulings?   For instance, some of my sisters carry brca 2 gene, and therefore some of the others do not want to be tested.

Created By:Jennifer Thurber Willis

I finally got my autosomal DNA results from Ancestry.  It says 89% British Isles, 8% Scandinavian and 3% Uncertain.  With my grandmother being Jersey Dutch and having so many ancestors who were Huguenots or from the Netherlands, and with my Dad having a small amount of French Canadian ancestry, I thought it would say something about France or the Netherlands.  

Since the Germanic tribes in the Netherlands are pretty much the same Germanic tribes that went to England, and since many French Canadians were from Normandy and Brittany and probably had a lot of Scandinavian and Celtic ancestry respectively, I guess it makes sense.  Also there was a lot of Viking activity in Yorkshire, and my great grandfather Peace was from there.

Half of me was hoping for something interesting that would require investigation, and the other half of me is glad not to have my tree thrown into question.  I don't know if this will help with my more recent brick walls, but maybe finding cousins will provide clues at some point.

Created By:Kelly Wheaton

I first tested my husband's Y-DNA about 1.5 years ago. This allowed me to solve a 40 year old paper trail dead end in about 6 weeks. I subsequently run two DNA projects and have tested at 23&me, AncestryDNA and Family Tree DNA (FTDNA).

As to privacy and medical info---if this is a major concern then I would recommend FTDNA as they have a very strict privacy policy and do their best to scrub all medically relevant SNPs from their results. If you happen to live in CA they have a law preventing the use of DNA to discriminate against you.

My recommendations would be based on your particular needs and what I know of each company's products.

For Y-DNA (surname projects), mtDNA or scientific studies I prefer FTDNA.

For overall Genealogy and the ability to make Family Tree Connections I like Ancestry.

For those interested in medical info 23&me is the only Direct to consumer choice. They also have a very robust on-line community and they do not censor posts like the other two do.

For genealogical verifiable connections my atDNA (autosomal) scorecard is as follows:

FTDNA 2

23&me 2

Ancestry 31 some recent like 3rd cousins and many New England colonials.

The 2 projects I run at FTDNA are the Wheaton / Wheadon Surname project and the Rehoboth, Massachusetts Descendants Project.

Created By:Jeanine Lawrence

Re: DNA Testing

My husband was tested at FTDNA, and it proved our theory that he was related to a Lawrence family that had settled in Massachusetts from England in the early 1600's. However, we still cannot find the connection in the ancestral line due to my husband's more immediate family having settled in the Caribbean islands in the late 1700's. Still looking for the elusive Thomas Lawrence who left the Boston area to settle in the Caribbean.

Jeanine Lawrence

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society