American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
Lerrermore, Conemarra Co Galway
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:lisa taisey

Researching my family from the Boston area who arrived in the late 1890's from ireland.  I have some manifests and limited info but it's rather hard on some last names on the manifests because i don't want to make the mistake of assuming relations to someone with the same last name on the sheet or from the same town.  The names and famlies I am researching are as follows:  NEE, FOLEY, JOICE (JOYCE) AND GOURDNER..to be continued as i research..ALSO from Beara Penninsula/Castletowne/CO CORK  SULLIVAN AND O'SULLIVAN.

SLAINTE!!!  IN THE TOPIC LINE IT IS NOT SPELLED CORRECTLY.  IT IS MEANT TO BE LETTERMORE!!!

Created By:Maureen

Hi, Lisa,  

My gr grandmother, Margaret Roche, is buried at St. Joseph's Cemetery in W. Roxbury in a grave purchased by a Dorothy Radcliffe.  She died in 1955.  Also buried with her is another Margaret Roche and a baby Nee both buried within a few years of each other.  The second Margaret could be my gr. aunt.   I don't know what connection there may have been with the Nee/Radcliffe families.  I haven't fully checked this out yet but wonder if you know anything about any connection between the Nee and Roche families?

edited on April 1 to add that Margaret A. Roche married John J. Radcliffe.

Created By:lisa taisey
hI mAUREEN...i willprint the page and bring with me to the local cemetaries in Boston when I do more research on the Nee line.  I wonder if the Nee baby was a pauper burial?  mmm.  The name radcliffe/roache is not familiar to the research I'e done BUT seems to me a Roche was on a manifest somewhere recently.  I will look into this and keep you posted.  I know for a FACT that a Nee baby died under 6 months because i printed out the death and it was excellent info and the last name on the page was a death penalty case and his info on who he was and how he died.  Creepy.  It listed dates and year and day for a death on a particular day in Boston.

Created By:Maureen

Their plot in St. Joseph's is not a paupers' grave (I asked when I was there last week).  There's no  marker, but someone planted flowers last fall.  Baby (Mary) Nee was born end of July 1950 and died prematurely first week of Aug.   Florence Radcliffe and Thomas Nee were the parents.  It might be that Florence was the sister to my gr. aunt Margt. Roche's husband John Radcliffe.  I was told over the phone a few years back that Dorothy Radcliffe owned the grave, but the printout I got last week lists Margaret Roche as owner.  Maybe Dorothy died and the plot was turned over to another Margaret Roche.   That's the only connection to Nee's I've seen so far.  My Roach/Roche ancestors came to Boston in 1837 from Ireland/England via Saint John, NB.

Created By:Rebecca_28
Hi Lisa - Do you have a place name(s) for the Lettermore/Connemarra area? I have copies for about 10 years worth (1872 to 18820) of Catholic parish register entries for the area with many Nee, Foley/Folan, Joyce entries.

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society