American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
New Jersey Online Records
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Martha

I have successfully used online records from several states. I'd like to know if New Jersey has any online records. When I last checked, I saw none via their official state site.

-Martha

User Rank: Contributor

Created By:Donna Goodwin

Dear Martha,

New Jersey is limited to their information online, I have had do the snail mail route, but in Monmouth County you can us OPRS.co.monmouth.nj.us.  Also for Monmouth Cty, the Red Bank Register is online.

Sincerely

Donna

Created By:lisa taisey
All of my Italian ancestors are from NJ and I have found not much luck with the state.  Unless of course you have a fat checkbook and you do not have a last name that ends in a vowel!!!  LOL!  Some of the info I needed could be found in a small link to the right hand side of the Red Bank Public Library.  If you need acess to local newspapers (besides the RB Register) or the actual library you will have to pay.  Same thing with all the local, county and state libraries.  I am out of state and simply cannot afford all the suscriptions so I suscribe to ancestry and use find a grave and family search.

Yes, that is true, N.J. does not allow much out of the state without a cost.  I joined the Monmouth Cty Historical Society - 20.00 for the year, and that has been helpful.  I am going to Monmouth Cty (Red Bank, etc) this spring.  If anyone has any information they would like looked up, please let me know and I will try to do my best.  My main goal is the Library and cemeteries.

Sincerely ,

Donna

Donna...are you from Red Bank?  Went to high school there.  What a small world.  I will be going laste spring mid summer.  Trying to avoid the traffic and crowds.  Not used to that anymore.  The look up something offer is very kind.

Hi Lisa.

No, but my family is.  My dad was born in Red Bank.  The Patterson's, Bordens, Smiths, Whites, Lanes, Longstreets, Laytons are all in my family (I think half of Monmouth Cty is too). 

I love NJ and have fond memories of visiting grandma in the summers.  I am so fortunate to still have an extended family there, which makes it great for genealogy. 

I do agree with you NJ is one of the hardest states to get information from and most people I have messaged on Ancestry.com have private trees and will not correspond.

I just met a very nice gentleman though and he is also going to Monmouth Cty this summer (we have similar lines) so maybe we can form our own Monmouth Cty network of information.  He is a MacQueen, from Shrewsbury.

Always,

Donna Campbell Goodwin 

How interesting!  My family is from Red Bank and I really grew up in both towns.  So I assume Patterson ave,  Borden and White Street are named after your family.  That's wonderful!!!  Would love to start a Monmouth Country site..What fun!  Looking foward to greasy diners and PIZZA!!!!  I miss the food, family and friends...

Hey again, I am not sure about the streets, but I am hoping my cousin does, will call her tonight.  She is a Lockwood (Maiden name).  What year did you graduate from Red Bank? Did you know any MacQueens?

Talk later,

Donna

Created By:Jennifer Thurber Willis

The New Jersey Department of Archives Management has quite a few searchable databases.  I know I have found marriage information for my Bogert, Vermilye, Zabriskie and Oblenis families there.  Also some records are available on www.familysearch.org .

Try http://www.state.nj.us/state/darm/links/databases.html

Created By:Nancy Cutler

Hello Donna, 

I'm also from Red Bank, living in southern Calif.  Long distance research is a bit tricky.  Have a small personal library of NJ books that help, many now online at archives.com.

The Monmouth County Archives is a great website and NJDARM.  Red Bank Register is excellent it you don't get distracted reading the non-genealogy articles... also try

USGenweb Archices at http://usgwarchives.org/nj/monmouth

and for graveyards (and other info)  Distant Cousin at http://www.distantcousin.com

Would really like to see a Monmouth County board here.  Nancy Cutler

PS - Have Longstreets, Sutphin, Schenck, Covenhoven, Antonides and one of my White sisters married a McQueen.  My maternal grandmother grew up on Borden Street.  Small world.

Hi Nancy.

I just decided to check these boards again, It has been awhile, wow it certainly is a small world.   You and I have the same family lines.  My GrGr grandmother Sarah Lane, married David Gordon Patterson .  I have her family completely done.  Then I have Edward Borden married to Rebecca Smith - her mother was a Layton. 

Now I am in touch with a Robert McQueen, Forman Smith, Rebecca's brother is his family line.  Are you on Ancestry.com? 

Yes lets start something for the Monmouth county.

I am going to New Jersey Sunday for a week of cemetery hoping and library and church record hunting.  But if you would like to stay in touch my email is lddg@earthlink.net.  Sometimes it is easier by email.

Love to hear more from you.

Donna

Created By:fs k

Hello,

I find it (because I live in NJ!) to go to the archives in Trenton. Though 10.00 for records is the cost of the hobby, I like the 50 cents for the copies I get by locating and printing a copy. The staff in the archives have always been helpful to the best. They are hard working and do assist when a film copy is hard to read. I have witnessed the staff just about walk a person through the search with results. And they enjoy it when you get a positive find. That is what makes it "fun".

The online Red Bank Register at the Middletown Library is a very helpful tool except for a couple of missing issues, ~ 1946 I think. And the articles do give a feel what it was like in the day.

familytrace4fsk

Created By:Marian_5
The Camden County has some records on-line.  Go to Camden on line record access and search genealogy.  There are records for the city of Camden from the late 1800s to  the early 1900s.

Created By:Tom Robertshaw
Search New Jersey State Archives.

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society