American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
Scrooby England Murder
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Janet
I am looking to see if there would be any probate records for Samuel Yeadon murdered in Scrooby England 4 July 1779.  I have several accounts from history texts relating to John Spencer's murdering of Samuel Yeadon the tollgate keeper at Scrooby and his mother Mary.  I have found the burials for Samuel and Mary in the Parish Bishops transcripts.  I would love the trial transcripts but haven't found them. Wondering if anyone as a some suggestions on where to get more information.  Am hoping someone can help direct me. Please.

Created By:Diana

Janet, I have found an account of the murder in a book entitled "Nottingham Date-Book 850-1884", compiled by John F. Sutton. This copy is a facsimile reprint made in 2003 by Archive CD Books, England and was originally published in 1852 with further editions in 1879 and 1884. The account is too long to recount here, but if you contact me I'll send it to you. Alternatively, a library or archive may have a copy of one of the earlier editions. You can reach me at robinson.diana@gmail.com.

Created By:Janet
Diana,  Thank you, I have the book of Days from Nottinghamshire. I am hoping to find a trial transcript or something that tells me where Samuel was born, I found his father's name Samuel and mother's name Mary.  I need to piece together the other children so I can see if my John Yeadon was really Samuels brother. We have a 100 year old family oral history that gives an extremely similar account of the events to our James, now we need to prove the relationship of John to Samuel. Not easy in 18th century England.  Any suggestions?  The account also states that an officer was deranked for shooting at the corpse of John Spencer and a court martial trial was held, but I haven't found any records for that either.

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society