American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
Brick Wall - Polly Bartlett wife of Bailey Clough ? about marriage record
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Patty

Polly Bartlett and Bailey Clough married July 4, 1796 in Amesbury according to the Tan Books (intent also recorded). In the Holbrook collection, I found that they were married by Rev. Ebenezer Cleveland. According to online information Ebenezer Cleveland was the minister of the Sandy Hill Church and according to Hoyt's book all the records from this church were probably lost in a fire at Bartlett's Corner.

I ordered the film for Amesbury Town Records from the LDS to see if there was any more information about their marriage (witnesses ?) but there wasn't any vital records recorded on any of the pages I viewed (town meetings minutes only) Did the town clerk keep a separate book for births, deaths and marriages?

If the church records where lost and their marriage was not recorded in the town records, what other records or collections would I look to find their original marriage record?

Thank you

Patty Brown

User Rank: Contributor

Created By:Dale H. Cook

> Did the town clerk keep a separate book for births, deaths and marriages?

In the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries most town clerks had only one book in which to record vital records, minutes of town meetings and selectmen's meetings, and all other town business. That book was, in many towns, referred to as the "Town Book." When that book was nealy full the clerk would ask the town to purchase a new book.

In many towns, by the late eighteenth to early nineteenth century, clerks began to keep multiple volumes, with one reserved for vital records - births, intentions, marriages and deaths.

In the era when a single book was used many clerks kept all of the vital records in certain sections of the Town Book, so it is possible that you might need to examine the whole film to find where in the Town Book those Amesbury records were kept. I see a different film for Amesbury and Salisbury vital records in the FHL catalog, so that is the film which you might wish to consult.

Note that the marriage record in Amesbury VR does not bear the annotation "C.R." followed by a digit indicating which church was the source of a record, so that entry came from the town records.

Dale H. Cook, Member, NEHGS and MA Society of Mayflower Descendants;
Plymouth Co. MA Coordinator for the USGenWeb Project
Administrator of http://plymouthcolony.net

Thank you very much Dale!

The history on the town records is a nice little gold nugget of information. I will look at the entire film and if the marriage is not there, I will order the Amesbury/Salisbury vital records. Finding the original record and hoping for more information is a long shot, but I thought I shouldn't leave any stone unturned.

Patty Brown

Created By:Maureen

Hi, Patty,

I am descended from an Enoch Clough b. Salem, NH who married a Betsey Smith.  Enoch's parents were William and Abigail Bayley both born Salem, NH according to some records.  William's father was Isaac Clough from Salisbury, MA.  Anyway, Enoch had a brother Bayley b. 1769.  I haven't researched a spouse or children yet, but they all seemed to be settled up by Lyman/Lisbon and Monroe, NH.  Maybe you could check that area?  Andrea Fitzgerald is a wealth of info up in that area and if you think it might be a match, the Lyman Town Clerk can probably direct you to her.

Thank you Maureen,

I know Bailey's parents, Elijah Clough and Sarah Bailey, its Polly's parents I'm trying to find.

Patty

I found Polly Bartlett's parent's name with the help from a land record. Her parents are Nicholas Bartlett and Molly of Amesbury

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society