American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
Avery: Looking for parents of Sarah Avery died Orford, NH 1842
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Sandra Gianni

I am a descendant of George A. Sheldon and Sarah Avery.  I am able to trace George's ancestry but I am unable to see who Sarah's parents were.

Sarah Avery died February 9, 1842 in Orford, NH.  Her death record says she was 30 years old.  She had given birth to:

Arthur M. Sheldon born October 19, 1834 in NH, died April 9, 1905 in Greenbush, Sheboygan, Wisconsin

Levi G. Sheldon born January 4, 1836 in Orford, NH, died March 15, 1904 in Orford, NH

infant Sheldon died February 1838 in Orford, NH

Martha Elizabeth Sheldon born May 22, 1839 in Orford, NH, died February 24,1908 in Adell, Sheboygan, Wisconsin

Henry H. Sheldon born October 21, 1841 in Orford, NH, died April 9, 1911 in Greenbush, Sheboygan, Wisconsin

After Sarah Avery Sheldon's death, George A. Sheldon married Sarah Jane Acheson, born in Ireland in 1816.  They had two sons in Ogdensburg, NY and then moved to Ottawa, Ontario, Canada where they had a daughter and three more sons.

George A. Sheldon was born in 1810 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada and died December 1884 in Peru, Miami, Indiana

Sandy Sheldon Gianni

Created By:Robert M.

I am assuming that, as you don't mention a marriage record, the source for the name AVERY is the death record in Orford?

In this case, I'd assume the couple married in the immediate Orford area, unless you have reason to suppose otherwise (George's trade perhaps if not a farmer). Start in the census after Arthur's birth and review ALL Avery families in that census and the preceding ones. But give it a GEOGRAPHICAL base, working out from Orford.

Then, as these are early 19th cent. people, the county deeds and probates (I've no idea which county Orford is in), which means ground work.

You've reviewed any Register articles or citations to "Sarah Avery"? Have you done a lit search of NH Record, or any of the material on NH for Averys at the Society's 6th floor, and of course the NH State Papers for much older Averys? No relevant older genealogies, I take it.

Congrats on the heavy Canadian research for the Sheldons. No chance an Avery family came with them from Montreal back to NH?

Let us know.

Best wishes.

I wish there were a notification for replies posted to this forum.  I just saw this.

The first mention I saw of the name Avery was in the quotation of a newspaper clipping from the 50th anniversary of Martha Sheldon and Harvey Miller. Her great grandchildren had that information.  We have been communicating online.  She was listed as Sarrah Avery.

George A. Sheldon and Sarah Avery were also mentioned in the book "The Descendants of Thomas Wellman of Lynn Massachusetts" on page 513 in the entry on Edward Zuri Wellman.  His wife was Mary Estelle Sheldon, daughter of Henry Howard Sheldon and Susan Parmenter.  George and Sarah were listed as Mary's grandparents.

And then there is the death record for Sarah Avery in Orford, NH.  There is also a death record for an infant as well as the death record for Levi G. Sheldon, who was the only child who remained in Orford.  Arthur M. Sheldon's obituary says he was born in Ware, NH.  There is no Ware, NH and there is no record of his birth in Weare, NH.

We had planned to visit Orford, NH, Deerfield, MA and go to the NEHGS as well last fall but Hurricane Irene intervened and we diverted to Ottawa and Montreal where I had been able to find so much info online.  I have been able to do an amazing amount of research online and going in person didn't give me any more information on that part of the family.  It was good, however, to get a sense of the places my ancestors had been.

I have done some searching of census data around Orford for Averys but since Arthur was born in 1834, only heads of households were listed in the censuses before and after his birth.  My travel time is limited because my mother is 90 years old and in a nursing home and I am the daughter.  She is the only surviving sibling.  Passing of the generation above us is powerful motivation for preserving what is known.

I have recently found a photo of the grave of Sarah N. Avery in the Orford Village Cemetery, also known as the West Cemetery on findagrave.com.  I was looking at all Averys in that area at the time when Sarah was living there and followed up on Simeon Avery and his wife Sarah Niles.  Their graves are in that cemetery and Sarah's transcription listed her as "Sarah Niles Avery" and it suddenly occurred to me that my Sarah N. Avery was probably Sarah Niles Avery.  Simeon Avery and Sarah Niles were probably her grandparents but I cannot find evidence of which son was her father.

"The Groton Avery Clan" says that son Silas had a wife and children but their names are not recorded.  I would also have considered Jesse Avery as a possibility but there is a pretty good list of his children.

I am hoping I will be able to visit the area someday to see this place for myself and do research other than on the internet : )  

Sandy Sheldon Gianni

I neglected to say that Jesse Avery's widow, Elizabeth Avery, appears 2 lines below George A. Sheldon, husband of Sarah Avery in the 1840 census in Oxford, NH.  This made me think that Sarah may have been her daughter.  She was probably at least an aunt to Sarah Avery Sheldon.

Sandy Sheldon Gianni

We have made a brief side-trip to Orford, NH while in Northampton, MA in September for a reunion of the Sheldon Family Association.  I met the person who had put the photo and transcription of Sarah N. Avery Sheldon's grave on Find-a-Grave.com.  She led us to the location of Sarah's grave.  She is in the midst of Avery graves.  In line with her stone is one for Mahala Platt Avery, second wife of Rufus Whitcomb.  Mahala was one of the children of Jesse Avery and Elizabeth Platt.  Mahala's sister, Susan Colston Avery, was Rufus Whitcomb's first wife.  A couple of rows back are the stones for Jesse and Elisabeth Platt Avery as well as Jesse's parents, Simeon Avery and Sarah Niles.  Behind them is a monument to Joshua K. Avery, another child of Jesse and Elizabeth.  I would still like to do some in person searches of records.  I didn't have time for that when I was there, though I did meet helpful women in the Orford Social Library and bought a book on the history of Orford that is very interesting and has a photo of Sarah Avery's sister-in-law, Clarinda Fisk Sheldon, widow of Levi G. Sheldon.

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society