American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
Joseph Monarch (Monikin) from Naples, Italy before 1800
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Marilyn

Looking for further information on Joseph (Guisseppe) Monarch (Monikin) who immigrated from Naples, Italy before 1800.

The first record I find for him is 1800 when he married Hannah Moore in Salem, MA. 

Second record is 1806 as a crew member aboard the Telemachus.

Next is a deed in Salem 1811. 

I have thoroughly scoured all the usual places.

What I'm looking for:

His name on a passenger or crew list pre-1800. 

His name on other crew lists after 1800.

Naturalization papers. I've looked but found nothing.

Suggestions welcome!

Marilyn

Created By:Robert M.

Jump to Italy.

First, review the articles on Italian research in the old Nexus and in an early issue of New England Ancestors. They don't reference your area, I think, but they are a start. Next, find the latest published book on Italian genealogy and see if that stimulates any ideas.

The last name as "Monikin" certainly looks odd for an Italian name. Explore what that could be in the greater Naples area.

There were certain types of documents that American blacks mostly got issued to themselves before undertaking a voyage. These are referenced in several recent Register articles or you can write directly to David Lambert as TO-LG for more details. Though not black, he wasn't a thorough-going American either, so perhaps...  Anything in Salem Town records?

A noted Freetown MA coastal trader of the early 19th cent., John Brown, was always referred to as "of Italy". There's no hope on that one!

Created By:lisa taisey
Marylin..I thought I was the only Italian on the site!!!  Looking thru records prior to 1850 my ancestors and surnames were not to be found.  Anything that resembles names that ended in A, E I O U were suspicious!!  LOL!  Would you like me to ask the people who  helped me to get started (experts and so nice & helpful) the question for you?  Let me know...

Created By:lisa taisey
FYI..i think registration was required in Italy after 1835 and it's hard to search some items if the Catholic Church did not hae the records, which most of them hae acess to.  Alot of my documents are in registration type books and the history is so interesting!

Created By:Marilyn_64

Hi Lisa,

Just now ran across your reply to my message of 2010.

I have had no luck finding anything on Joseph Monarch prior to his wedding to Hannah Moore in 1800. Found him sailing on the Telemachus in 1806 and he & Hannah bought property in Salem in 1811. 

I'm assuming that he may have signed aboard a ship from Salem prior to 1800 while it was docked in Naples. Not sure what his last name is supposed to be. Early on it is spelled Monikin, Monock, Manack with a middle name of Ruff or Raffe. The middle name always has a period after it so I wondered if it might be short for Raffaele? On the 1806 crew list it is spelled Monarch and on the 1811 deed it is spelled Monarch.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you or the experts you know might have for me. 

I searched for a naturalization record at the archives in Boston but no success. That was the suggestion David Lambert had.

I think I might have to travel to Salem (or Boston) and plop myself down with the ships logs and just start plowing through them. Maybe I'd run across other information.

Marilyn

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society