American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
adoptions
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Andrea
My grandmother was born in the almshouse at Newburyport, MA, in 1901 and placed in the New England Home for Little Wanderers in Boston.  I have a copy of her adoption papers from Boston as well as her birth certificate, but there is no mention of the biological father's name.  Family oral history states that she knew who her father was, and that her sister by adoption burned the family papers before she died.  The biological mother went on to marry and have 2 children, with descendants only by her daughter.  I have tried contacting the living relatives but have met with silence.  Any suggestions on tracing the biological father would be welcome.

User Rank: Online Genealogist

Created By:David Lambert

If you have not contacted the Home for Little Wanderers they may still have a case file in their archives.  Whether it has information on the biological father would be difficult.  They can be reached at: http://www.thehome.org/site/PageServer

David Allen Lambert, NEHGS Online Genealogist

Created By:Judith
I have seen in 19th-century court records that if a child was born out-of-wedlock, sometimes the mother would not reveal the father's name.  One reason could be that the father was a married man and the mother was perhaps "protecting" him or afraid of repercussions if she identified the father.  In such cases, the child was often given the mother's surname.  Looking at your ancestors' surnames might provide a clue.

Created By:Andrea
Thank you, David.  I have tried to contact them before but have only received forms to fill out that had nothing to do with the information I was trying to obtain.  One of the other descendants is working with me to try and get answers from the biological mother's great-grandson.  In the meantime, I have sent a new e-mail to the orphanage and hope that they will get me on track to find something.

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society