American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
My brick wall: Mercy Cobb (wife of Samuel Codding, m-in-law of Oliver Drake?)
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Sholom Simon

Phebe Codding (1760, Tauton, Mass - 1832, Leeds, Maine) married Oliver Drake (1758, Taunton - 1828, Leeds).

Durrell, "Philip1 Durrell and His Descendants," Register 133 (July 1979): 219, however, describes her as Phebe Coddington, but I suspect that's a mistake.  (Further, the name of one of the children of Phebe and Oliver was "Codding Drake.", and there are no Coddingtons in VR of Taunton)

Phebe's parents, I believe, are Samuel Codding (I can't find his info anywhere) and Mercy Cobb.  Cobb is a big name in that area, and, indeed, at https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FCW5-BS4 we find a birth record for a Mercy Cobb, b 13 Sep 1747 in Truro, Mass; parents Thomas Cobb & Ruth, but I have nothing to connect this Mercy to that one.

Any info on this Samuel Codding (I think his parents are Geo. Codding and Eliz. Luscombe), or Mercy Cobb, or her parents, would be greatly appreciated (I don't see them in VR Taunton).

Created By:Mary

I have Samuel Codding born Apr 1742 Taunton d 1812 Taunton who m Mercy Cobb.  Both Scotty Rawson & Mark Codding who have the Codding Genealogy online also have this.  I descend thru Samuel's brother William bpt 26 July 1741 2nd Church Scituate Vol 59 pg 313 Taunton Records.  They are the sons of George Codding Sr b Apr or Dec 1709 Taunton who m Elizabeth Luscomb in Taunton. Elizabeth d/o Robert Luscomb & Elizabeth Crossman.  It is my understanding the Taunton vital records were destroyed for this time period. 

George Codding Sr was the s/o James Codding m 1707 Taunton Deborah Thayer b 14 Oct 1681 Taunton d/o Nathaniel Thayer & Abigail Harvey.  James was into shipping out of NYC which is why I had such a hard time putting this line all together.  

Mary Ellen Wright    

User Rank: Online Genealogist

Created By:David Lambert

To strenghthen your theory about Phebe's parents try the probate and deed records of Bristol County.  I notice that a reply state's Samuel diedin 1812.  At NEHGS we have microfilm of the records of probate and deeds for that era.  If you cannot visit NEHGS our Research Service can be hired to perform that task for you.  They can be reached at research@nehgs.org

David Allen Lambert, NEHGS Online Genealogist

Thanks, all, this is great stuff -- and a great forum.  But does anyone have any info on Mercy Cobb's ancestry?

Created By:David

My uncle has done the Grant Genealogy which includes Coddings, as Eliza B. Codding was my gg grandmother.  I have George Codding and Elizabeth Luscombe in my data base. George's parents were Capt. James Codding and Deborah Thayer.  Elizabeth Luscombe's parents were Capt. Francis Luscombe and Elizabeth Crossman.  I have George Codding and Elizabeth Luscombe as having two children (there may be others), William Codding b. 26 Jul 1741 at Taunton, MA and George Codding, Jr., no dates.  MY family comes from the George, Jr. line.  George had 8 children.

I have a Sammuel Codding b. 1734, Taunton, MA, d. 1812, Dighton, MA and married Mary Cobb (might have been Mercy) 1756, Taunton, MA.  I have no dates or parents for her.  I have Sammuel's parents as James Codding, Jr. and Lydia Lincoln.  James' parents were Capt. James Codding and Deborah Thayer.  Sammuel b. 1734 had a second wife, Anna Adams 14 Jan 1777, Taunton, MA

I tried to attach a Descendants report but it was too large for this webpage.  I will email it or use Dropbox if you are interested.

I also have over 60 grid sheets 17"x 22" related to the Coddings and associated families shown in "tree" form. I will check those sheets.  I have a lot of that information in my computer but not sure if I have put all of it in.

I hope this has been helpful.  My email address is dgranti@verizon.net.

Let me know if I can help.

David wrote:
I have a Sammuel Codding b. 1734, Taunton, MA, d. 1812, Dighton, MA and married Mary Cobb (might have been Mercy) 1756, Taunton, MA.

I was once told -- I have no idea how accurate this is -- that there were two Samuel Coddings from that area, who were first cousins.  One of them married a Mary Cobb, another married a Mercy Cobb, and and that Mary and Mercy were sisters.  My interest is Samuel and Mercy.

I'll drop you an email . . . any additional info would be greatly appreciated!

User Rank: Contributor

Created By:Dale H. Cook

> But does anyone have any info on Mercy Cobb's ancestry?

A number of books and articles have been published concerning the Cobb families of southeastern Massachusetts. If you can find it at a library one volume worth examining might be Susan E. Roser, "Early Descendants of Henry Cobb of Barnstable, Massachusetts" [Markham, ON: Stewart Publishing, 2008].

Dale H. Cook, Member, NEHGS and MA Society of Mayflower Descendants;
Plymouth Co. MA Coordinator for the USGenWeb Project
Administrator of http://plymouthcolony.net

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society