American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
RAWSON
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Alison

For anyone who is descended from Edward 1 Rawson, First Secretary of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, please note that Edward was not born in Gillingham, Dorset, England.  Yes he was living there with his wife, Rachel (Perne) Rawson, as their first two children were baptized in St. Mary the Virgin Church in Gillingham, as was wife Rachel.  There is no record of marriage for Edward 1 Rawson to Rachel Perne in Gillingham.  I've personally checked the church records three times.

I've done in-depth research on Edward 1 Rawson, and I feel he was either born in the family home in Berkshire Co., or in London, England, where his father, David Rawson was in business.  The trip today from London to Gillingham is a three hour train ride, and on 16 Apr 1615, it is unthinkable that Margaret (Wilson) Rawson would travel by carriage over dirt and rutted roads to have her baby. 

Alison Franks

Archivist, Rawson Family Association

agfranks@comcast.net

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society