American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
Submitting better queries
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Robert
  • It would be great if people would do a better job of posting a query.  "Seeking Parentage",  "Help"  and other nonspecific headlines are often ignored.  Please include a family name, dates and state or country in your headline.

User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Robert

Yes! Unless those items are included, I don't read the post.

User Rank: Contributor

Created By:Dale H. Cook
I would also suggest indicating at least the major sources of contemporary records and major compiled works consulted, so that viewers need not revisit already-covered ground in looking for an answer. If I know that a querant concerned with a Bridgewater, MA family has already consulted the published vital records of all four Bridgewaters I can concentrate on less known (and less available) sources in search of an answer. If one of the compiled Bridgewater works consulted is Mitchell's History of the Early Settlement of Bridhewater... I can advise them (based upon 25 years if experience with Mitchell) about how reliable (or, often, unreliable) that portion of Mitchell might be, and might even be able to point out a known and corrected error in Mitchell to help them get on the right track.

Dale H. Cook, Member, NEHGS and MA Society of Mayflower Descendants;
Plymouth Co. MA Coordinator for the USGenWeb Project
Administrator of http://plymouthcolony.net

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society