American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
Parents of Benjamin Swift
User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Carol Crockett

I am trying to find out who the parents of my gg-grandfather were. I know his name, Benjamin G Swift, and that he was born in Oxford County, Maine, sometime around 1822. He was married on 11 Feb 1853 in Oxford, Oxford, Maine to my gg-grandmother, Catherine Webber. He died on 21 Sep 1875.

There were a lot of Swifts who lived in Oxford County, but I have not been able to determine who his parents were. I think that there is a possibility that they were Samuel Swift and Statira Gammon, but I have no proof of that. The books that have histories of the area list only their daughter, Abigail Swift (1820-1903) and say that there were other children from that marriage, but provide no further information. The 1830 and 1840 censuses for Samuel Swift indicate that there could be a son of the correct age to be my gg-grandfather, but again, I have no proof. When he is first listed, it is in 1850 and he is living as a farm hand on someone else's land.

It would be nice if the middle initial G in my gg-grandfather's name was for "Gammon", but in fact, I have no idea what it represents.

I am hoping that someone can give me ideas on how to move past this roadblock in my research.

Created By:Colette Reagan

Hello, You many want to look into William Swift. One of his descendants could have traveled to Maine. NEHGS has information on him.

William Swift was born 1619, Bocking, Essex, England and died 7 Jan 1705, Sandwich. He married Ruth Tobey. She was born 1628, Sandwich and died 1706, Sandwich. William Swift came to New England in 1630. He was a pioneer settler of Sandwich in 1637.

Created By:Carol Crockett
There were several Swift families who moved from Sandwich to Maine, primarily Paris and Oxford, Oxford County, Maine. They are fairly well-documented there. My problem is that I have been unable to determine to WHICH Swift family my great-great-grandfather belonged.

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society