American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS
Go

Discussion Board

Login
Sturgis Family of Shippensburg, PA
User Rank: Moderator

Created By:ssturgis
This family lived in Shippensburg in the early 1800's.  Father's name 'James', mothers name 'Amanda'.  Son 'Samuel Davis Sturgis' was a General in the Civil War.

User Rank: Beginner

Created By:Liz Loveland
I grew up relatively close to Shippensburg and visited it frequently. Have you already tried contacting the Cumberland County Historical Society in Carlisle?

Created By:Sam
I haven't contacted the Cumberland Historical Society, but I will today.  Thanks for the tip!

Created By:Robert M.

Google is your friend.

Do a search such as:

"samuel davis sturgis" cumberland co., pennsylvania

One of the links will be to a company called ebooksread, but I think they get their stuff as a massaged link from Google books. My PC doesn't like their formatting. However, the book you want, which you can then re-Google for, is "A Biographical Album of Prominent Pennsylvanians..." Military men are in vol. 1 BUT check out all the other links on first 3 to 5 pages.

Ah, yes, there's a better copy at archives.org. Yes, vol. 1, p. 237 (n329) with portrait. The progenitor here is given as William Sturgis from County Armagh, settling in the Juniata Valley about 1745. A sister of the wife of WS married Rev. John Davis, from whence Davis comes from. And, yeah, Sturgis had some kind of war, and so did his wife! This is a great read!!

Another is Union Generals of the Civil War -- ah, he was a 1846 West Point grad, a career Army officer, and he seems (?) to have published a book--perhaps will have family info in the early chapter? As he di ed in St. Paul, likely having retired from the Army at Fort Snelling, the Minnesota Historical Society located there will likely (but slowly) be able to come up with a formal Obituary and/or memorial article on him.

For further military records, email David Lambert.

Created By:Robert M.

A seriously entertaining and well-researched "read". His retirement out of Fort Meade (not Snelling) was covered by The Chicago Tribune, so you might be able to get a full copy through their online archives.

Your adorable son has an easy 5th or 6th grade history project here. In addition to the General, he's got a "cousin", Sturgis's eldest son (West Point 1875), who died serving under Custer at the Battle of the Little Big Horn in 1876.

The other website I mentioned above has a CW contemporary carte de viste fo Sturgis, looking way less distinguished then the formal etching in the Biographical volume.

Best wishes.

User Rank: Moderator

Created By:ssturgis
Thanks for the tip on "A Biographical Album of Prominent Pennsylvanians."  It is a good read, with quite a lot of new information for me.  For instance, it's the first mention of Samuel D's brothers that I've seen.  More leads to track down!

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
888-296-3447

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society