Enfield, NH: Vital Records, 1761 - 1940 contains 26,403 records of birth, marriage, and death from the founding of the town to 1940.
Enfield, New Hampshire was incorporated in 1761 by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth. First named Enfield by settlers from Enfield, Connecticut, the town was renamed Relhan in 1766 to honor Dr. Anthony Relhan Following the American Revolution, the New Hampshire town was renamed Enfield in 1784.
The transcription from which this databases was created was compiled from survivingtown records and supplemented with information from probate and land records, tax lists, censuses, newspaper items, correspondence, genealogies, and other resources.
Compiled by George McKenzie Roberts in 1957, this collection is especially valuable because many of the town records prior to 1851 were destroyed by a number of fires.
Roberts' original transcription also included cemetery records, which can be found in our cemetery transcriptions database. In total, only four copies of this typewritten, unpublished manuscript were produced — in addition to the copy at NEHGS, one is kept in the Enfield Public Library and two were given to the New Hampshire State Library
The original text may be accessed at the NEHGS Research Library. The call number is Mss 996
Search Enfield, NH: Vital Records, 1761 - 1940