American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS

Ask a Genealogist

RSS Feed

Ask a Genealogist: Military records for New Hampshire WWII veterans.

 Permanent link


Looking for my grandfathers WWII Army record from New Hampshire. Is there somewhere I can examine this record?


In 1973 there was a destructive fire of Military personnel files in St. Louis, Missouri.  Often what can be found are in personal family papers, or obituary notices for clues.  If you contact the State Adjutant General's office of most states you can locate the proof of discharge.  This should confirm the unit your grandfather served in during the war at a minimum.  You will need to supply his full name and date of birth.  If he is still alive he must apply, otherwise you will need to supply his death date and place. The following website will give you the details to proceed in your search:

Posted by David Lambert at 07/02/2013 11:59:26 PM | 

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society