American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS

Ask a Genealogist

RSS Feed

Ask a Genealogist: English sources I need assistance with.

(Church Records) Permanent link


While looking over the notes of a cousin (now deceased) he mentioned using BT and PR for the English village our ancestor was from.  I am new to genealogy so I am unclear what the sources are.


Often the church records in England for the Anglican church will have two sets of records preserved.  The PR = Parish records. These are the records of the baptisms, marriages and burials of the parish and are entered in as they occur.  Each year a copy is made of all the same records.  This transcription is sent to the local Bishop's office.  These records are the Bishop's Transcripts = BT.

Posted by David Lambert at 03/25/2013 11:41:01 PM | 

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society