American Ancestors New England Historic Genealogical Society - Founded 1845 N.E. Historic Genealogical Society Seal View Your Shopping Cart Join NEHGS

Ask a Genealogist

RSS Feed

The Online Genealogist: Pensions from the Department of Veterans Affairs

(Military Records) Permanent link
David Allen Lambert

David Allen Lambert
NEHGS Online Genealogist

Question: I am looking for a later issued Civil War pension. At your Civil War lecture I heard you explain about “C” or “XC” on a pension index card.  I do not recall  the reason these were not at the Archives.  I have found one I would like to request.


Answer: These pensions are not at the National Archives, and are under the custody of the Department of Veterans Affairs.   These are generally pensions that were considered to be closed by the year 1929.  To obtain a copy of this file write a letter to the Veteran’s Administration Freedom of Information Officer.  You will want to mention that you would like to request a pension with the permission of the Freedom of Information Act.  Supply them the soldier’s information that you have.  Make sure you state you are willing to pay the fees to copy the pension file.  Contact them at:


FOIA / Privacy Act Officer, Veterans Benefits Administration Officer (20M33)

Department of Veterans Affairs, 810 Vermont Ave., N.W., Washington, D.C. 20420

Posted by David Lambert at 06/18/2012 11:13:24 AM | 

New England Historic Genealogical Society
99 - 101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA

© 2010 - 2014 New England Historic Genealogical Society